LS1LT1 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'll see what I can find. I don't want to create another problem with a "fix".

·
Global Moderator
12,986 Posts
You won't run into any problems plugging weep hole in wp with a tee fitting. The hole goes to empty space there just in case seal starts leaking. That way the coolant runs out and doesn't destroy wp bearings.

But runs right onto the opti which is never a good thing. That's why the tee & tubing.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got it back up and running, but the new Stant "premium" thermostat was operating about 20 degrees warmer than previously. Got another one and installed it; it's running a little cooler, but still not as cool as the one I originally removed.

It's also been setting a code for the #2 rear O2 sensor. I'll clear the codes, it'll come back after awhile. I took a shot at replacing the sensor when I had the car up in the air for an oil change, but I couldn't get an O2 socket tool on it due to the limited space, and couldn't get it to budge with an open end wrench. I was resigned to dropping the pipe, but one of the manifold nuts wouldn't budge, and I didn't want to break the stud off in the process. So, I'll clear the codes when I go for the emissions test and hope it doesn't reset while I'm there. And, soak the manifold nut with PB Blaster every time the car is up in the air until it comes loose and I can drop the pipe.

The weather is warming up (although it got down to 12 degrees last night), so looking forward to being able to drive it more.

And, I'm getting some work done on the '57, finally...

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Guess I haven't updated everyone here.

Soon after my last post:

The rear O2 still hasn't been fixed. I took my code reader with me to the emissions test station and cleared the codes just before turning it over to them. The light stayed off long enough to get through the test, and as clean as it ran, it obviously isn't a cat problem. I gave another try at replacing the O2 a couple of weeks ago, and while I did manage to get all of the manifold nuts off, the pipe still wouldn't budge, and I had more important things to do, so abandoned the effort again. Some day...

I ended up putting the thermostat that was in it originally back in. Could not find any markings, but it appears to be a 160 degree, and the fan on-temps appear to have been adjusted accordingly. It seems to like that combo.

If you look closely at the first pic, the front rims are actually the wider rears. I found a pair of fronts on a Corvette forum, the guy gave them to me for paying the shipping. Just before I went to have them put on, the LTPWS light came on, so the shop said they'd check into that. Turns out none of the tires have the senders - why the light didn't come on before that, I don't know. So, that's been glowing constantly since then, some day I'll find the module and unplug it, or at least remove the bulb. Not spending $600 for new senders. They rebalanced all 4 wheels when replacing the front rims, and it runs a lot smoother now.

I did manage to get the '57 running in late April. I took both cars to the track on May 2nd for my first weekend of racing for the season. It was a "Club Clash" event, which is split into two classes, 10.50-13.99, and 14.00 & slower. The '57 fits nicely into the first class, and the Vette in the 2nd, so I was bouncing back & forth between the two cars. Managed to get to the quarterfinals in both cars, 5th round of 7 in the '57, 6th round of 8 in the Vette. The best run was 14.69 @ 96 mph (remember, we're at 5800' elevation, so that represents 13.80 @ 101 mph at sea level). Most people were predicting 15.0's before it made its first pass.

The next day I was driving the Vette to run some errands. I had gone home and needed to make one more run so jumped in the car, started it up, and went I put it in reverse to back out of the garage, I heard a "thump" sound, and it didn't seem to want to move as I gave it some gas. I put it in drive, and it didn't want to move forward, and made a brake-scraping sound. So, I shut it down and took the truck. I didn't get a chance to look at it until Monday after work (I drove the truck to work), and found this on the right front:

With this on the floor:

The "thump" and subsequent scraping were the balljoint to rim:

Nice find after having the car up around 95 mph several times the night before. Turns out all 4 ball joints and both tie rod ends were loose - drives much nicer since tightening them all up.

In the process of looking for the source of the noise, I actually started in the back and found this (upper right):

I picked up a set of poly bushings and replaced them in this link. Again, I was time-limited, so haven't gotten to the other three, but that was the worst one.

I have some sort of engine leak that drips oil onto the cats. I couldn't identify the source, but there was wetness around the ends of the intake manifold (worse in back), so I replaced the intake gaskets a couple of weeks ago. Still seems to have leaks, but at least it doesn't smoke at stoplights anymore. And, the track hasn't chided me for oil on the track, so it must not be too bad. For sure it isn't enough to show up on the dipstick.

Although I drove it occasionally since March, it's been my daily since May. In March after a warm day the AC would come on - finally figured out what setting prevented that. Now that the weather is warm (hot), the AC quit completely. Figures. It appears to have a full load of refrigerant, so I'm assuming it's a control problem. Haven't had a chance to chase that down.

And, the shocks are rather weak, the right front caked with dirt attached to leaked oil. So, I got a full set of replacement Bilsteins, need time to get back to it and replace those. Hope to get the other rear link bushings replaced at the same time, and while it's up in the air, change the tranny fluid.

One of the gas door hinges was broken, replaced that. Much nicer now.

Still need to replace all of the window/top/hatch weatherstripping. At least it doesn't leak in the rain (just the car wash).

Whew! A lot of stuff. But, it's getting there, and it is fun to drive - especially with the 20+ mpg it's been getting.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A year and almost a month later...

Still haven't gotten around to the weather stripping. Makes it a true "fair weather" driver. Also still haven't figured out why the AC doesn't work, but it's got a full charge; the warmer it is outside, the more heat it puts out - suspect the controller. Solution has been to put it on vent and keep the windows down. Heater works fine in the winter.

The oil leak has continued. I put cardboard under it in the garage, they never complained at the track (I've been told I have an oil leak in my other cars when I didn't). One piece of cardboard I used happened to have a white label on it that was directly under the drip, turns out the oil was red. I had dropped the tranny pan for an ATF, filter and pan gasket change, not leaking from there, but the lower converter cover is wet. Must be the front pump seal leaking - had read that was a common problem with these. Hasn't gotten any better, but hasn't gotten any worse, either. Figure I'll replace the seal when I put a higher stall converter in. Anything else required to stop front pump seal leaks?

The right O2 sensor stopped setting a code. I did run some fuel system cleaner in the tank a couple of times, perhaps that cleaned it up. Or, it just needed to be run more.

It turned over 130,000 last week. Not burning oil, gets 20+ MPG each tank. Would really like to replace the seat cushions/covers - looks pretty bad with the failed seam stitches on the bottom cushion.

Really need to do that weather stripping, though...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts