2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fresh off the (open) transport.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not trash, them's parts!

Last night I was finishing up the 2nd connector of the LQ4/4L80E PCM wiring resizing on that project behind the Vette. The stuff you see piled on it is stuff waiting to be installed.

I really want to have the '57 ready for the start of the season in April, so the Vette will get minimal attention (enough to make it safe and pass emissions before the temp tags run out the end of March) until then.

The Vette will start out as a "driver". Eventually I'd like to see the LT1 improved enough to dissuade me from an LS3 E-Rod swap.

(By the way, can someone tell me how to open the hood...?)

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
just pop it and lift near the windshield, there's no special trick (you do realize corvette hoods open backwards, right?)

also rtfm. there are weird vettethings in the car that may confuse you. you can download a pdf of it if you google a lil bit.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I knew the hood opens backwards.

I didn't get an owner's manual with the car, and the Hayne's manual the seller threw in doesn't show it. I found a .pdf version, thanks. The release needs a little lube...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Nice lookin vette :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice addition. Like the tennis ball stop indicator...classic.
The tennis ball is for the '82 Camaro. The Vette almost goes underneath it without touching (does not reach the windshield...).

Details:
1996 base Coupe, LT1/4L60E, leather seats, tan interior. Bought off eBay. Seller said it had 156k miles and had the front end rebuilt for accident repairs ("rebuilt" title, which in Colorado means "salvage"). I watched it throughout the listing, nobody bid on it, so I got it for the opening bid in the last minute (about half what KBB said it would be worth).

It's a little rough. The front bumper cover doesn't quite match on the driver side, not sure if it needs adjustment or if something is tweaked. Turn signals don't work, quick look I see broken wires on the front driver side light. A seam in the passenger seat bottom cushion has come unstitched. Shifter button a little weird, shifter/ignition interlock needs adjusting (hard to remove key) - those two may be related. Entire engine compartment needs a thorough cleaning. Mufflers look fairly new (just took a quick look in the dark with a flashlight as the driver unstrapped it from the trailer), driver side muffler inlet pipe is kinked like it was backed into something, exit pipes under the bumper cover, being held up with a coat hanger. Cassette portion of stereo busted up (tuner seems to work). Park brake doesn't engage (feels like one cable is disconnected). No PKE keyfob (from reading tfm I gather they came standard with it). I didn't see the roof panel tool, need to look again for it.

But, it started right up, runs smoothly, tranny seemed healthy in backing it off the trailer and the short drive into the garage. The street in front of the house was slick with packed snow, the traction control seems to work. New tires all around. Look like the original Bilstein shocks.

I have all fluids and filters on hand for changing. Also a new set of plugs - no clue what shape they're in, but I figured couldn't hurt with a 156k mile car.

Oh, and the odometer shows 124k miles, not 156k.

Plans:
Get it safe to operate and through emissions testing. It'll be a driver at least until the '57 is running and I decide what to do with the Camaro. I'll have to get some baseline data on it at the track, of course...

Future plans: My original thought was to get a C4 in decent shape with a bad or weak engine and swap in an LS3 E-Rod (since emissions is an issue here). I also considered robbing the LS1/4L60E from the Camaro and parting it out, but that would lead to emissions compliance issues. Since deciding on an LT1 OBD II car, I've been rethinking the LS route and trying to research what's available. Exhaust upgrades are assumed - need to figure out if the long tubes/cats systems I'm seeing will pass emissions muster. So far I'm liking what I see from Advanced Induction for head/cam kit. All that would require tranny and rear end upgrades, I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was out of town all weekend, so didn't have a chance to touch it. Before leaving, I bought an owners manual (also found the "official" GM .pdf online), and the roof tool, which arrived while we were gone. Also ordered a set of used factory repair manuals, the red 2-volume set.

Last night I repaired the two (of 3) broken turn light wires on the left front, and the left side started working. The right side still only came on, but I finally realized only the rear lights were coming on. Pulled the right front bulb, replaced it with an 1157A I had laying around, and now both sides work (forgot to try the emergency flashers). The right side flashes quicker than the left side, I assume because of the 1157 bulb instead of the spec'd 2057, so I'm going to pick up some 2057s tonight to put the proper bulb back in.

I popped off the oil fill cap, shined a light in, and was met with a shiny aluminum reflection. That was nice to see. I wouldn't have been surprised to see caramel-colored coatings everywhere.

I took a closer look at the tires. The brand is "Maxxis", which I'd never heard of before. Apparently Discount Tire carries them. They look decent, but I can't say much more about them since I haven't really driven the car yet.

I really need to spend most of my time on the '57, but the next thing on the list for the Vette is probably fluids changes, see what condition the plugs are in and change if necessary, and figure out what's wrong with the parking brake.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Arrived yesterday:

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The weather finally cleared up enough last week to be able to drive it a little last Friday. First stop was the Shell station where it got a bellyful of premium. Then through the car wash where I got a left pant leg full of soapy water (I bought a roof panel tool, but it was already tight).

It was a little "stiff" from not having been driven much, but started feeling better with use. Got some tire shake above 60 MPH, felt in the steering wheel. Realized the front tires look "small" on the rims, but they are 255-40x17's, so it probably has rear rims all the way around.

Drove it again Sunday to go to the store with my wife. By the time we got there, a couple of miles away, no power steering. There was some whine under the hood when we pulled out of the garage, so when we got back home I checked the PS reservoir, but it was fine. Oil over the crank pulley and belt, that's what kept it from working. Last night I cleaned up the pulleys and belt, PS restored, but whine still there; was going to take it on another drive to see if the oil returned, realized the lights were kind of dim, looked at the volt meter - not happy. So I pulled back into the garage, the alternator was too hot to touch. Okay, oil didn't cause that. So, getting a new alternator.

I've heard the oil could be the Opti drive seal. Hoping with an oil change and more regular operation it will seal back up. But you know what they say about hope...

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replaced the alternator, did a little more cleanup to see about this leak. Well, it isn't oil, it's the water pump leaking.

So, new water pump coming up...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Gonna go ewp or back stock? Did the opti get wet?

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stock.

The Opti appears to be okay. As I understand it, the later year LT1s didn't have as much of an issue as the earlier ones. But, I'm not taking any chances driving it until the WP is replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is a '96. It has a vacuum line going to the intake manifold, and a fresh air source line going to the air intake hose. After getting the pump off, it didn't appear to have been all that wet - there was a nice coating of water-repelling oil residue & dirt to protect it as well... :lol:

I'm glad I didn't drive it anymore, regardless.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Don't forget the weep hole mod when you put the new one on

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had only heard/seen mods to '92-'94 Optis for drain holes. I'll look into the WP weep hole more.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Just drive a plastic 90° into the water pump weep hole and route a drain line around and down past the opti.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts