LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy who built my engine told me that it is too tight and he is having to take it out of the car and see why. Is there a such thing as the LT one being too tight or is it something that's being overlooked? I do have the reduced drive starter and a 12v battery. The opti is good too, new wires and plugs too. The engine is spinning but its not cranking up. Any ideas on what could have causes this?

·
Banned
489 Posts
Did u ask him?

What is too tight? Bearings? Pistons/rings?

cardo

·
Global Moderator
13,438 Posts
It is possible for an engine to be too loose or tight. If machine shop wasn't careful clearances could go in either direction on crank and cylinders.

If the person who put the engine together didn't check clearances or over torqued main and/ or rod bearings there could be clearance problems. rings are another area where it is important to get the correct end gap.

If new cam bearings are out of spec, there could be clearance problems there, and so on.

I knew a guy once that torqued his main and rod bearings so tight that it locked the engine up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what's too tight. He did mention something about the rings not being gapped but that was the extent of the possible issues that he mentioned. It sucked being able to see my engine assembled and installed just to hear my mechanic say that it has to come back out. I'm glad he is adamant about doing a quality job though.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I'm not sure what's too tight. He did mention something about the rings not being gapped but that was the extent of the possible issues that he mentioned. It sucked being able to see my engine assembled and installed just to hear my mechanic say that it has to come back out. I'm glad he is adamant about doing a quality job though.
So, why didn't he do it right from the beginning or is there something I am missing? Scratching my head on this one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
U and me both, scratching our heads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts