LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They'll cost you.

I went to test & tune last night to get in some seat time, the car seemed slow. Couldn't explain it by weather or tuning. Wondered if it was the gas I had, but couldn't really verify that.

By the end of the evening, after we packed things up to head home, it became clear - the alternator wasn't charging. Made clear by not starting in the dark pits. A nearby crew loaned us their jump box, and it made it home without incident. Was only putting out 13 volts no-load, wouldn't maintain 12 with the radiator fan on.

I was pulling the alternator this morning when I discovered the field wire was barely making contact. I resoldered it to the connector, started it up (had the charger on overnight), and it put out a good 14.5 volts.

The HI-6 box is powered directly off of the alternator output, if voltage is low, the box ain't happy. We'll see if it makes a difference tomorrow night for the points race.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Wow... That's crazy, I wonder how the connection broke

How'd it end up doing?

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it had separated before and I did a pit repair. This time it looked like it was still attached, but apparently wasn't making good contact.

I put the alternator from the Camaro in last week. Voltage stays higher, but I'm not sure it really had any effect on ET. However, it does start easily now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts