LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to start a new thread with my ever expanding project. It started with a freeze plug leak, so I decided to change them all, which involves pulling engine and trans.

With engine compartment empty, next I decided to prep the compartment for paint. I have about 2 quarts of base coat left over from when I re painted a couple of years ago.

Next came changing all the crispy rubber parts like vacuum line, radiator & heater hoses, and other assorted parts. Won't actually do it until engine goes back in, but have all the material I need.

As long as I was changing rubber parts, I decided to change the motor mounts also. Because on the 3rd gen, GM put the nuts to the mounts in a place where you can't get to them without taking the control arm free from the k member, that job was a bear.

Finally, at least for now, today I decided a new battery box would be good as it's the only rust on the whole car.
 

Attachments

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
Joined
·
16,224 Posts
Well aware of those damn motor mount bolts... much cursing was had doing them on a friends car.

Whats with the Xmas lights? :p

(PS moved your thread, hope this is where you wanted it)



 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got tired of having to untangle strings of lights every year so a couple of years ago I decided to just leave um up. Change em as they go bad.:roflmao:

Yes spot you moved it to is just fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I thank you for the suggestion, but I was thinking more on the lines of installing a rocket engine. 1/4 mile in 2 seconds flat:devil:

But seriously, 3rd gens did get the iron duke from 82 to I think 85. Bad mistake. My little 3.1 weighs less than the duke and has the same 140 horsepower as my buddies 305 82 trans am. That's it under the cover in my carport. I get an honest 20 mpg around town and 27 on the highway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to think about the time when the 82 3rd gen was designed. Performance was out, pollution control was new and cars had many performance problems and got pretty bad gas mileage. So GM thought they would put the old iron duke in the 3rd gen as the base economy choice. A whole whopping 90 horsepower to send the 3rd gen down the road.

Gas had also hit a dollar a gallon for the first time when the 3rd gen was being designed. Oh for the days of dollar gas again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today I did the lay out and cut out of some scrap sheet metal to make a new battery box for my car.
Tomorrow, I am going to bend it to the proper shape and paint it with barbecue black to help resist the heat from spot welding it into place.

Will also cut out the old box and clean up any rust I find in the sheet metal below it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well the project just expanded again. When I cut out the old battery box today, I noticed the rust had spread into the headlight panel also. Not real bad, but if I let it go it would eventually get real bad. A stitch in time saves 9. Straight from Ben Franklin's poor richard's almanac.

Will take pic tomorrow of car without bumper cover, headlights, and bumper bar.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Another detour, after painting the engine compartment, looked at the cowl area, area circled in red, and decided it looked like crap. So painted it, then decided to paint engine with some turquoise I had.

Like Picasso, the painter, I have entered by blue period. So don't come round as I'll paint ya blue.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top