LS1LT1 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
You can just feel it hesitate. I'm assuming opti because opti. It only started doing it near the end of the season and it's not all the time. I've been spinning it near 7k Rs for three years now, it's bound to give sooner than later.

The headers are LPP and the X-pipe is universal. Both polished stainless.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
-4 and no heat is the definition of dedication :lol:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Its been cold like that here it was about -4 this morning needless to say may car sits for the winter. Just curious what shocks are on your car are those qa1

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Strange double adjustable up front with QA1 275# springs

Strange single adjustable out back with OEM NAPA springs

·
Registered
861 Posts
And do u like ur shocks im looking to get single adjustable for mine and dont no if i wana spend a grand for a set of konis? What state are u in?

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Yes I really like them. I had singles up front before this winter. I actually sold my single adj Strange shocks with 300# springs to MB when I got the new ones. It depends what you want. I would consider my car (I may regret saying this) a purpose built strip/street car... I guess... Some people would despise what I have... There are somedays that I do but the good out weigh the bad.

So the question is what are you looking for?

I live in Michigan.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Michagan im in ohio not far i want more of a street car that rides decent but if like to be able to go to the track from time to time and run high 11s i got the power to do it just need some traction i need some new sticky tires then will try some shocks i figure the car beein 17 yrs old it could use new ones

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
The shocks ride fine. Just depends where you adjust them. You can set the adjusters closer to 50/50 and it will have a stockish feel I suppose. I set my shocks and leave them for track duty even when driving around on the roads. I haven't had any problems blowing out seals or anything. Our Michigan roads suck too cause our government has no monies to fix them, lol.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ok good to no our rds suck to im glas im not driving the car now cause there are some holes that would swallow my car

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Well... The biggest hurtle has been making the Xpipe system fit properly. I actually had to order an extra 4' of pipe have it polished and be able to slip fit over the existing pipe for ease of removal in the future. I finally made some huge strides today in getting everything to fit properly. There now isn't much to do left with it now.

The 24x system has come together very nicely. It has been surprisingly easy to install everything once the old stuff was removed. I'm hoping it will continue to go well because that is the only difference that can stall me in a huge way this year.

About the LPP headers... I'm happy with them but I can see some improvements to be made on my car. I say my car because I have changed a lot and I believe LPP has been working on OEM-like vehicles only. I say this because:

I use Earl's header gaskets which are thick. They come extremely to the LS1 steering knuckle which has much more clearance than an LT1 knuckle. I do not see how they would clear an LT knuckle.

I have a deep oil pan and the headers come extremely close to the kick out. Because of this I am no longer able to install or remove an oil filter anymore. I have to lift the filter between the tower and the header... Not between the header and the oil pan... If that makes sense. This will be an added pain in the ass... In addition a longer filter will no longer be available for use, it simply won't clear a primary tube.

The starter I use is a Mini SX Torque starter... Again, it's REALLY close to the header. I am interested to see if I will need to use a heat shield or not.

Lastly, spark plug #5 will be a complete bitch to remove and install... A normal plug socket is too long. I will have to modify one in order for it to be an easy removal.

Overall... These small inconveniences do not come close to adding up to the MAJOR inconveniences I had with Pacesetter Headers. I highly recommend LPP headers over those any day.

Here are some photos, enjoy!

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Yeah, I'll have to bring mirrors with me and ramps whenever I park now.

After will be the existing Borla XR1 mufflers I had. Those mufflers are actually 3" with 2.5" reducers so they will weld up nicely. I also have 3" SS polished turn downs.

I'm a little worried about clearance, especially up and down my steep driveway... But there is no turning back now!

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Saturday work day update!

Today was mostly tedious work. A lot of cleaning, degrease, and re-assembling removed parts. I did find out that my small annoying oil leak from the timing cover was a worn O-ring on the crank sensor. Luckily my new-used 24x kit came with the 24x cam sensor and new O-ring.

Since the timing cover kit came with the seals on the timing cover itself I thought why not? I got a little too excited and forgot how delicate the water pump shaft seal was and ripped it. No problem, I'll get another one, the kit's only $11. And I ripped that one too. So this time I stretched it and sliped it on with the large sharpie cap method. What a pain in the ass! At least if I ever need to remove the anything with the WP or timing cover I'll be all set with gaskets!!!

All in all I'm really happy how the clean up turned out and I have everything on the engine buttoned up for the most part. I ordered more powerful fans for the larger aluminum radiator I bought last year. The stock fans were not strong enough to pull the air through. Once that all comes in - and assuming it all fits properly - I will hopefully be home free!

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Last Saturday I re-installed some of the smaller items that I may forget down the road such as the oil dip stick, water temp sensor, replacing my broken power steering pump reservoir, etc. I also installed the new 411 LS PCM, however, I realized it stuck out like a sore thumb so I painted it black. Also re-installed the crank hub realizing that the balancer was worse for wear and ended up spending time painting that black.

Moving to the exhaust there was a lot of time stepping down the driver side area where the tub has to clear that lower portion of the frame. I ended up reducing that portion by a 1/2" to clear. I'm not too worried about that area messing up the flow as it's such a small portion.

The next big step will be re-routing the fuel lines... Again... I ordered the pieces for that. I am excited to give it another go because I'm confident in making the routing a lot nicer.

I also ordered some higher powered fans to pull enough air for last years larger radiator. The quest for efficient cooling remains!

The other large hurtle is finding out a nice way to mount the coils to everything. I believe I have a decent plan but we will see during the fabrication process.

Lastly, a nice add on to the exhaust system is polishing my existing Borla XR1 mufflers. I think they turned out really nice!

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just read through this entire thread and really enjoyed it! I remember reading this thread back in 2013 when I first joined but now see that ALOT has happened since I was last here. And that your car is beast now! Look forward to seeing some pics of the exhaust all finished up.

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #159 (Edited)
SNM - Thanks! The notch turned out alright but if I had another chance I would have done it a little differently. I'm really happy with how it's all turning out though. The polish feels to be that extra mile on this car that most people would ignore.

95Z28 - I appreciate it. A lot of what I'm doing now is what I should have done from the beginning... But live and learn I guess. I'm doing a lot of back tracking and refinement to make a respectable weekend track / weekend park in the show car.

Right now I'm really sick of Summit boxes and especially sick of Summit stickers. This year's project is really nickel and dime-ing me to death... By that I mean $200-ing me to death. Hopefully I'm done with Summit for the year.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
141 - 160 of 195 Posts