LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal,

i'm looking for an F-Body 4th Gen, with LT1 engine, i can't afford LS1,, so i'm searching for models between 1995 and 1997,, my biggist worry is it's gonna be My Daily Driver, now we are talkin about a 7++ years old Car, i'm not looking for very extra power, i'm gonna stick wth Bolt ons, but i want my money to be spend wisely,, now whats the best thing to do to make this Engine Sooo Reliable??

thanks.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Find a low mileage car that has been well maintained, switch to synthetic motor oil and do all the regular maintenance items on time.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
you are worried about a 8-10 year old car? Dude until two weeks ago, I never had a car newer than '89. Daily drove a '81 F-100 in highschool/first year of college, got a 89 TA and daily drove it for 4 years, including a built 355 swap etc... then got a 86 Vette I drove every day until I traded it for the SS a few weeks ago. They can be very reliable if you drive them. And by drive them I mean don't beat the piss out of them or even really start modding too much. Bolt ons sure, but don't abuse the car and maintain it and you will be fine w/ a mid 90s car...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fenster said:
you are worried about a 8-10 year old car? Dude until two weeks ago, I never had a car newer than '89. Daily drove a '81 F-100 in highschool/first year of college, got a 89 TA and daily drove it for 4 years, including a built 355 swap etc... then got a 86 Vette I drove every day until I traded it for the SS a few weeks ago. They can be very reliable if you drive them. And by drive them I mean don't beat the piss out of them or even really start modding too much. Bolt ons sure, but don't abuse the car and maintain it and you will be fine w/ a mid 90s car...

all what you say is true and it's the same for me, i've been driving a 78' K5 Blazer (350', Edelbrock performer intake manifold, Edelbrock Intake Valve Cover,Rancho Steering Stabalizer, 33" and some few thing all done by my self) so i know about old cars, and that car stayed sharp all the time i had (3 years), i've never owned a car newer than that, but i never had the Cash and the Guts to really get it reliable, i was too young "being 18 with a K5 Blazer is nuts around here",, but now i have a job and i'm more reliable, i think it all reflects on your state,,so i believe i can take good care of the car... thanks..

·
Registered
63 Posts
hey, why does everyone shy away from the 93-94 firebirds or camaros or t/a... is there something i should kno about these cars? i was planning on buying one but i think i will hold off untill i get some helpful answers. thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
well a lot of people beat on them, you have to be careful with what you buy simply because of that. from what it seems to me, is that the most common big thing that goes wrong with the lt-1 is a spun bearing and its a pain in the ass, but keep an eye on your oil pressure, keep it changed regularly, and drive it nicely for the most part and i think youll be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts