LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker and I were batting around the idea of making a tail light sequencer. I know that there are products out there already but who doesn't like making something on their own? This is going to be a digital component controlled by micro processor. I'm looking to see if anyone has any ideas for additions...here's where we're at:

////functional requirements////
*sequence three individual bulbs from inner most to outer most during turn signal operation
*illuminate all three bulbs at once during stop lamp operation w/o sequential turn-on
*retain park lamp operation as per OEM specs
*prioritize park/stop/turn functions

////desires////
*ability to program sequence time
*eliminate OEM flasher component, control w/micro controller
*LED conversion
*adjustable brightness (smoked lenses v. non)

·
Global Moderator
13,225 Posts
Thunderbirds of the 1960's had sequential tail lights, way before the ic/ micro processor age.

I'm betting you can find a schematic for your project if you search electronics sites or go to library and look in their electronics section. Even the library in my smallish city has plenty of books on the subject.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thunderbirds of the 1960's had sequential tail lights, way before the ic/ micro processor age.

I'm betting you can find a schematic for your project if you search electronics sites or go to library and look in their electronics section. Even the library in my smallish city has plenty of books on the subject.
Coco-its not that we are looking for info on how to do this, the knowledge is certainly there, but looking to see if there are ideas out there of things that people would like to see in how they function. Like brightness function to overcome smoked lenses or covers at night and so forth as listed above.

As for the use of a micro controller, its to have the ability to customize them in multiple ways with relative ease. People with these already express issues with flashers messing with the sequence time, LEDs not working well, etc. All of that can be controlled/corrected with the MC.

Any ideas on what to add to the function? Someone has got to have ideas of "wouldn't it be cool if my tail lights (insert your idea here)"

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The newest revision to our sequencer is to add the three flash tap as I'll call it. Like the newer vehicles, where you tap your turn signal switch and you get a automatic cancel after three pulses of the turn signal. Thoughts?

·
Registered
891 Posts
That's ricer quality right there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Global Moderator
13,225 Posts
I believe what jimmy is saying is the turn signal sequencer is more like what the boys who drive riced up cars would go for.

Now having said that, it's his opinion and not written in stone or shared by everybody. So, continue on with your project, I believe there will be 4th gen drivers who will want it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought one for (no one shoot me) a mustang :craz28: @ Meter4it.com Install Doc's.
It works perfect and has three different modes you can change on the run (Chase: sequencial one after the other, Sequencial: one at a time, they all stay on, All Blink: they all blink same time. I have a couple of youtube videos showing the results. Really nice, in my opinion.
You obviously have to do the mod to the housing to except the three duel element bulbs, to get all three sections to blink first.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just bought one for (no one shoot me) a mustang :craz28: @ Meter4it.com Install Doc's.
It works perfect and has three different modes you can change on the run (Chase: sequencial one after the other, Sequencial: one at a time, they all stay on, All Blink: they all blink same time. I have a couple of youtube videos showing the results. Really nice, in my opinion.
You obviously have to do the mod to the housing to except the three duel element bulbs, to get all three sections to blink first.
Actually, with using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) you can program the chip to perform multiple functions on the same element, therefore eliminating the need to mod the outside socket to a two element bulb. You can also write the program to tell it whether its an incandescent or LED bulb to eliminate the need to change flashers. Actually the flasher will most likely be eliminated all together. The discreet signal off the multifunction switch, headlamp switch, or hazard switch will indicate to the chip what will be displayed via each of the lamp housings (LR tail, RR tail, LF marker, RF marker). Probably way over done but what the hell, its winter and we've got nothing better to do. Well except I've got to turn the firebird from a V6-auto-10 bolt car to a 396 ltx-M6-9"-N2O WS6 clone. no biggie :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts