LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T/a Lights Acting Up - YouTube

Alright.. so just the middle bulb on the drivers side flashes alternately to the other one. Passenger side is perfect. When i use the brakes, the drivers side lights up perfectly apart from the middle light being just a little bit dim. When i use the hazards.. they are fine, apart from the drivers side middle light being a little dim like when i use the brake lights. Thoughts?

Also, checked wiring and didn't see any wear/damage. Just replaced all of the bulbs as well.

Also posted this in "electronics," but no one looks there lol.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You have a ground missing on one of the bulbs, the one that lights up the least (the middle one on the driver side). Most likely a defective socket or wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
More brake light issues.

I have an odd one. My right rear brake lights are out. The turn signals and hazards are out too on that side only. I changed the bulbs and no go. I applied a separate ground to one of the bulbs while in the socket and it did nothing still so I don't think it's a ground issue. The right front amber light flashes fine. I checked all the connectors for corrosion and they all look good. the turn indicators on the dash both left and right flash at the normal speed. Also my cruise control doesn't work. Not sure if it's related or not.

·
Registered
772 Posts
1. It's a good idea to either give the car's description in your post, or have it in a signature at the bottom. Otherwise we have to look up old posts to find that information.

2. You have a defective turn signal switch (or connector or wires at the switch). The brake, hazard, and turn signals all share that switch. Download a free service manual for your car with instructions for replacing it here: My Files

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a bad habit of 1. Not posting my fixes, and 2. Vehicle descriptions haha.
Turns out it was a bad socket. Quick fix and pretty cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry about that. My car is a 96 Transam. I thought I might be looking at the turn signal switch after reviewing the wiring scematic in the manual. The sockets looked great as did all the wiring and connectors as far back as the kick plate in the drivers door jam. Would the brake lights not working on that side affect the cruise control? I think I read one time that if the third brake light was out the cruise didn't work either.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I apologize for mixing up you two guys. That's the risk you run posting in the same topic ;-)

I'm not sure about the cruise control. But I know the ABS will disable if the third brake lamps are both out. Bad engineering, I think. I suppose the CC module could see a constant brake indication if the lamps were out...

·
Registered
8 Posts
theoretically, cant I install a new turn signal switch to the harness under that dash and test it to see if the switch is the issue before I rip the column apart and install it?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Probably. I would go even farther and test the installed switch at the cable connector before ordering a new one. For reference, check the voltage at the yellow wire while you operate the left turn signal. You should see 12v (flashing on/off). Then change to the dark-green wire and do the same with the right signal. If it is 12v flashing on/off also, the switch isn't the problem (check the wire to the back); but if it is missing, it is defective.

·
Registered
89 Posts
T/a Lights Acting Up - YouTube

Alright.. so just the middle bulb on the drivers side flashes alternately to the other one. Passenger side is perfect. When i use the brakes, the drivers side lights up perfectly apart from the middle light being just a little bit dim. When i use the hazards.. they are fine, apart from the drivers side middle light being a little dim like when i use the brake lights. Thoughts?

Also, checked wiring and didn't see any wear/damage. Just replaced all of the bulbs as well.

Also posted this in "electronics," but no one looks there lol.
I had this same issue......... in the tail light harness on the drivers side behind the tail light is a group of black wires (ground/earth), 4 from one direction and 6 from the other with a factory steel crimp connector ( it had factory "duct tape" style tape over it) that was all rusted and crusted...... I cut and soldered this group of wires and all is good now!:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Problem solved... I disconnected and reconnected the harness to the turn signal switch under the dash and it's working fine now. However, that had no effect on the cruise control.. Thanks for all the support.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Problem solved... I disconnected and reconnected the harness to the turn signal switch under the dash and it's working fine now. However, that had no effect on the cruise control.. Thanks for all the support.
Congrats, you are now designated senior tech ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts