LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T/a Lights Acting Up - YouTube

Alright.. so just the middle bulb on the drivers side flashes alternately to the other one. Passenger side is perfect. When i use the brakes, the drivers side lights up perfectly apart from the middle light being just a little bit dim. When i use the hazards.. they are fine, apart from the drivers side middle light being a little dim like when i use the brake lights. Thoughts?

Also, checked wiring and didn't see any wear/damage. Just replaced all of the bulbs as well.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Looks like your left taillights are blinking sequentially and not together? I had the same problem years ago and fixed it by buying a used LS1 style taillight harness. Its a direct plug and play swap. The 2 connectors that attatch it to the cars wiring are identical on each harness only the bulb sockets are different. The smaller outer bulbs are interchangeable but the 6 larger bulbs use the newer 3057 pop in style while the older harness uses the 2057 twist in style that is known for short circuiting and causing all kinds of issues. Sometimes one whole taillight would go out if i had the headlights on and hit the brakes. Its possible to just replace one bad socket if you are good at cutting and splicing wires but for me it was easier to just replace the whole harness as i didnt know what socket was bad. And someone, presumibly a repair shop had already spliced in a socket or 2. I got the used harness with bulbs for about $35. This was back in 05. I got it from a place called trans am creations in miami FL and they said they don't even sell the 93-97 style harnesses used because they are so prone to problems and since the newer harness is a direct swap. This is for firebirds.

There were differences in the camaro harness for anyone else reading this. Camaros had 3 different harnesses 93-96, 97, 98-02. The 93-96 used old 2057 bulbs and i think 2 red blinker lights. 97 had a single amber blinker and 2057 bulbs and 98-02 had the amber light and 3057 bulbs. So in the camaros case a 98-02 harness can be directly swapped to a 97 but requires modification for use in a 93-96.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting!
i was kind of just hoping it was a stupid ground or something...
I have emissions and inspections coming up tomorrow.. hope it passes as it is XD
Stupid taillights not working.. frustrating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts