LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing Help my T56 6speed transmission its stuck in 4th gear and won't come out .Checked around and even used ones are Expensive. So my question is would a 5speed from behind a v6 camaro fit behind my lt1

·
Global Moderator
13,339 Posts
A T-5 from a 90 degree v-6 like the 3.8 would fit. But it wouldn't last very long because the GM T-5 wasn't made to handle a 350 ci engine's torque.

This is why 3rd gen f-bodies could only get the T-5 with 305 ci engines. When GM came out with the 350 tpi engine in around 1985, it only came with the 700r4 automatic.

The lt1 has even more torque & hp then a 85-92 350 tpi engine.

I suggest trying craigslist & offerup to find a whole car with the T-56 6 speed manual. You might get lucky & find that a complete car costs about the same as just the T-56.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A T-5 from a 90 degree v-6 like the 3.8 would fit. But it wouldn't last very long because the GM T-5 wasn't made to handle a 350 ci engine's torque.

This is why 3rd gen f-bodies could only get the T-5 with 305 ci engines. When GM came out with the 350 tpi engine in around 1985, it only came with the 700r4 automatic.

The lt1 has even more torque & hp then a 85-92 350 tpi engine.

I suggest trying craigslist & offerup to find a whole car with the T-56 6 speed manual. You might get lucky & find that a complete car costs about the same as just the T-56.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the information. Your info confirmed my suspension on why the 5speed was behind the v6! I purchased the car about 3 months ago and have had a blast driving it the engine had been rebuild. So it now a 383 with cam,ported and polished heads. Intake and throttle body. So I wouldn't think the 5speed would last very long. Will probably count the cost of a built 700r4 .thanks again for the Response

1 - 4 of 4 Posts