LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anybody done this project? I've been thinking about either way rebuilt my slow tired LT1 engine or swamping brand new LS1 motor. I noticed my Camaro is slow off the line. My camaro has over 100k miles on it. I could either upgrade it with LT4 package replacing the cam, head, valvetrain, and rockers. I heard that the LS1 motor is much more better and powerful than the tired LT1 motor. Does LS1 motor rev faster? Since my engine is iron block with alumium intake mainfold which isnt a good heat transfer combination for my engine which make me watch my engine temp to make sure it doesnt overheat. I just purchased the car a month ago. Its 1997 Red Camaro Z28 SS with T-tops. Im proud to be the third owner of the car. Since the LS1 is lightweight aluminum block and makes more power than the LT1 motor. Can anybody give me advice if If I choose to go with the Swap of the LS1 motor or go with the rebuilt upgrade from LT1 to LT4? What else will I need to replace beside I know the computer programming will have to be replaced too when swap in the LS1? I have 6 speed T-56 tranny. Im not sure if it can handle that kind of power? Seem like I need to get my T-56, and clutch rebuilt after swapping in the LS1 motor. I sure would great appricate all advices or experience in this project ;)

Thanks,

James (a.k.a. bubba)

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I've heard an LS1 doesnt' fit under the stock LT1 hood on either the Z or the Firebird. Will need a ram air hood or convert to 98+ front end.

The LT1 t56 won't bolt to the LS1..you have to have an LS1 transmission, plus the clutch hydraulics are all different too.

YOu'll need a complete LS1 motor with trans, wiring harness and accessory drive because the LT1 accessories don't bolt to the LS1...remember they are 100% different motors.

This is just as hard a swap as bolting in a Ford 5.0 into a TPI camaro if that helps wrap your brain around it. The two are totally different. I'm thinkin you even have to replace the motor mounts.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
I've heard an LS1 doesnt' fit under the stock LT1 hood on either the Z or the Firebird. Will need a ram air hood or convert to 98+ front end.

The LT1 t56 won't bolt to the LS1..you have to have an LS1 transmission, plus the clutch hydraulics are all different too.

YOu'll need a complete LS1 motor with trans, wiring harness and accessory drive because the LT1 accessories don't bolt to the LS1...remember they are 100% different motors.

This is just as hard a swap as bolting in a Ford 5.0 into a TPI camaro if that helps wrap your brain around it. The two are totally different. I'm thinkin you even have to replace the motor mounts.

That pretty much summed it up.

In short you'll need the motor, wirings harness, trans and accessories.

·
Registered
21 Posts
musclemac05 said:
Have anybody done this project? I've been thinking about either way rebuilt my slow tired LT1 engine or swamping brand new LS1 motor. I noticed my Camaro is slow off the line. My camaro has over 100k miles on it. I could either upgrade it with LT4 package replacing the cam, head, valvetrain, and rockers. I heard that the LS1 motor is much more better and powerful than the tired LT1 motor. Does LS1 motor rev faster? Since my engine is iron block with alumium intake mainfold which isnt a good heat transfer combination for my engine which make me watch my engine temp to make sure it doesnt overheat. I just purchased the car a month ago. Its 1997 Red Camaro Z28 SS with T-tops. Im proud to be the third owner of the car. Since the LS1 is lightweight aluminum block and makes more power than the LT1 motor. Can anybody give me advice if If I choose to go with the Swap of the LS1 motor or go with the rebuilt upgrade from LT1 to LT4? What else will I need to replace beside I know the computer programming will have to be replaced too when swap in the LS1? I have 6 speed T-56 tranny. Im not sure if it can handle that kind of power? Seem like I need to get my T-56, and clutch rebuilt after swapping in the LS1 motor. I sure would great appricate all advices or experience in this project ;)

Thanks,

James (a.k.a. bubba)
My son and I are in the final stages of putting a twin turbo LS-1 motor into his 94Z28. It required a new computer, not just reprogramming. The LS-1 uses a crank trigger and not an Opti. The tranny will bolt up as will the motor, but we put in motor plates to handle ~1000HP output. We had to cut the cowl area back a bit and get a 4" cowl hood, but that was so the 90mm Ford Throttle body could be mounted on top of a carb manifold. You should have no problem with a stock LS-1 intake.
When my LT-1 goes, I'll put an LS-X motor in it as well. The 6-bolt mains and great flowing heads make it worth the effort.
Good luck.

G

·
will the A4 fit with no problem with the LS1?
As long as you have a 4L60E out of a LS1. Different spline count than the LT1. I think one is 26 and the other is 28..?

BTW: if you want your car to take off quicker... thats the job for a nice 3200 stall :thumbsup:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have looked into this swap as well. I have been told by others that have done it,,,,the front K-member is different for LS1 cars and is required for any 97 and back LT1 car if an LS1 swap is in the works.
I also know the complete computer and wire harness is needed for the swap. All accessories as well.
Clutch system is different, push verses pull,,,so all that will have to be changed. As far as a T56 6 speed is concerned, the trans themselves are identical, no need for upgrades for any power differences, although I believe the bell housing is different, which can be changed easily enough.
It fit's under the hood fine on any 93-97 camaro but one thing I didn't get into though that I am not sure about,,,,for me I would need the A/C and power steering hooked back up as well, and since you have to use LS1 accessories I am not 100% sure they will hook right into the existing components on an LT1 car, (meaning the hoses, fittings etc....)
Over all, in my opinion, if you really want an LS1 you are better off selling what you have and picking up a 98 or newer Z28 already equipped. Much less trouble and headache.
If you are stuck with the car you have, rebuild the LT1, they are plenty stout enough to get the job done. The small increase in power for the LS1 just doesn't warrant all the headache for a swap in my opinion. Larry.

·
Supporting Member
811 Posts
Do the LT4 swap, AFR heads, LT4 intake, cam of choice and a nice full exhaust starting with some Kooks LTs and a Corsa exhaust. You will have a real killer engine, then do your suspension ie; LCAs, SFCs, APHR, Torque arm and LCA lowering brackets. Your engine will rev faster and make great useable power (depending on cam selection). JMHO or My 2¢

·
FI Moderator
643 Posts
I have looked into this swap as well. I have been told by others that have done it,,,,the front K-member is different for LS1 cars and is required for any 97 and back LT1 car if an LS1 swap is in the works.
I also know the complete computer and wire harness is needed for the swap. All accessories as well.
Clutch system is different, push verses pull,,,so all that will have to be changed. As far as a T56 6 speed is concerned, the trans themselves are identical, no need for upgrades for any power differences, although I believe the bell housing is different, which can be changed easily enough.
It fit's under the hood fine on any 93-97 camaro but one thing I didn't get into though that I am not sure about,,,,for me I would need the A/C and power steering hooked back up as well, and since you have to use LS1 accessories I am not 100% sure they will hook right into the existing components on an LT1 car, (meaning the hoses, fittings etc....)
Over all, in my opinion, if you really want an LS1 you are better off selling what you have and picking up a 98 or newer Z28 already equipped. Much less trouble and headache.
If you are stuck with the car you have, rebuild the LT1, they are plenty stout enough to get the job done. The small increase in power for the LS1 just doesn't warrant all the headache for a swap in my opinion. Larry.
I second this. You would be saving yourself loads of trouble by selling your LT1 and buying an LS1 in its place. Not to mention, the LS1s look far better.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Looking better :lol: Thats kind of a personal thing I guess, but for me it depends on which car we are talking about,,,It's a toss up for me on the Camaro's,,,,I like the look of the LS1 98 up front ends but I am not a big fan of composite headlights,,,too foreign car looking to me. If you don't mind the nose the rest of the car is the same anyway.
On the birds,,,I really like the front end on the LT1's,,,just clean appearing,,,on the LS1's the front end got a little too busy for my tastes,,but they are still good looking cars though, I could probably live with the 98 and up T/A front end as long as it has the WS6 hood.
Then again,,,I really like the WS6 hood on the LT1 cars as well.
They all look pretty good,,,but there are a couple things I would change on just about every one of them though :thumbsup: have a Merry Christmas Larry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts