LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to a police auction and picked me up a nice 3.4L V6 that has been done up like a trans am with the bumpers ground effects door letters and tail lights for $450
so i get it home make a key for it turn it over and it starts so i take it down the road about a mile to the end of my street and right as i turn into my driveway the motor starts knocking hard
so now i went and pulled a motor for $250 and now i am in my living room and right beside me is a supercharger that i pulled from a buick 3.8 so now i want to supercharge it but i dont want to spend very much to do so
and i was wondering if this one i already have will bolt up and work
and since it was already dressed like a trans am i was thinking of calling it a turbo trans am like they had on third gens
any thoughts and could someone tell me if the buick supercharger will work on this motor

·
Registered
263 Posts
somebody correct me if i'm wrong here but a buick 3.8 charger won't work on a 3.4 car. The buick 3.8s are setup for FWD and you would have to have the intake and everything and that will not work on a 3.4 motor plus a stock 3.4 IMO would not hold up to forced induction. could be wrong but in theory i don't see it happening. especially without dumping alot of money into it. I believe if you're going to look into putting some money into it get a LT1 or LS1 car that has rear end damage, swap everything over into you're firebird.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's not impossible but it is alot of work. I used a 3.8 supercharger off a thunderbird that I bought at a swap meet. I'm now running a turbo set up on my 3.4. I have to agree a v8 swap would be alot easier.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's not impossible but it is alot of work. I used a 3.8 supercharger off a thunderbird that I bought at a swap meet. I'm now running a turbo set up on my 3.4. I have to agree a v8 swap would be alot easier.
DAMN SON!!! i ain't gonna lie thats pretty cool lol. What all did you have to do to get you're supercharger running?

·
Registered
635 Posts
DAMN HOW MUCH POWER DOES THAT PUT DOWN,,,,, and i would still go v8 tho look it up not a hard swap

·
Registered
116 Posts
I never had the surercharger set up on a dyno or at the track. It was pushing 8 lbs of boost. The car did have awesome torque. I made all the mounting brackets, a dual crank pulley, belt tensioner, and a throttle body plenum which mounted to the rear of the charger. If you click on the fquick pic above you will see other shots of the parts layed out on a table. There's some other shots of the charger when it was on my car. I later sold the kit and installed it on a friends car (pictured). I'm now running a turbo pushing 15lbs of boost. Best run of a [email protected]

·
Registered
689 Posts
Looks cool, but I agree if you want to go fast just swap in the V8. He broke into the 12's in a V6 which is very respectable, but you could be there with a bolt on LT1.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
no offense to grape of wrath what so ever, but i also have one question for you... why?

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
I'm not knocking people who mod V6's, but I was thinking about tweaking y wife's Grand Am when she had it, but I saw people dump a lot of $ into their 3400 to only run 14's and 13's. Nothing wrong with that if you're OK with it, but not near enough for me. The 3.8 and 4.3 is a better platform if you want to stick with a V6. I have to say, 12's out of a 3.4 is impressive. That'll sneak up on some people and is cool as he'll from a sleeper perspective.

The 3.8 is a 90* V6 and the 3.4L is a 60* V6. ThaT is in reference to the angle from the center point of the crank to the center of the cylinders. The 3.8 is a wider enigine up top.

·
Registered
635 Posts
not really into v6 cars but i would drive that thing just to put around and pop the hood for everyone!!!! but to the original ? a v8 swap with a few bolt ones and take care of all free mods,,and do the swap RIGHT! you will be in good shape and you can run very good times!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I never had any intentions to mod this car when I bought it. It just became a challenge to me to see how fast I could make it.

LOL been there done that, but i only got 16.4s out of my 3.4 haha! i didn't have the money or time with being in school.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'd just drop a big nasty v8 in there.

If you can't find any LT1's for a steal, then just go with a carbed 350.

That way you don't gotta **** with the wiring harness and all that crap.
(unless you find a Z28 that matches your Gen, and can pick it up cheap for a Parts-car.)

But a pick-up truck, and a fun day in the junkyard will get it done dirt cheap.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I'd just drop a big nasty v8 in there.

If you can't find any LT1's for a steal, then just go with a carbed 350.

That way you don't gotta **** with the wiring harness and all that crap.
(unless you find a Z28 that matches your Gen, and can pick it up cheap for a Parts-car.)

But a pick-up truck, and a fun day in the junkyard will get it done dirt cheap.
id call nay on the carbed tree fity, for the simple fact that they are not as efficent, and the location of the distributer forces you too pull the engine everytime you want too change the distributer.

·
Registered
768 Posts
i have considered putting a carb'd sbc in an f body and thought the same thing, a distributor wont fit, but after researching it i found a guy who did it and had minor changes to the firewall with a mallory magnetic breakerless distributor, he can pull the distributor out easily without pulling the motor or anything

·
Registered
635 Posts
i had a 96 v6 car i swapped and i could drop the front subframe bolts and let it down a small bit and reach the distributor mine was a mean little 327 with holley top end kit but i did have a smaller mallory dizzy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts