LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey car people!

Ryan here. I've had around 20 cars since 15 (almost 33 now) and never had a "fast" car with a V8. Picked up a 95 Z28 LT1/4L60E with super high miles but a nearly perfect body earlier this week and I'm planning for its future mods. First thing's first I'm going to get all of the "stage zero" stuff done...tune-up, suspension work, ball joints, etc. Then later this year I plan to build the engine with some mild ported heads, slightly hotter cam, bigger TB, shift kit for the trans... One of the previous owners did a cat delete and had 3" pipe welded in, as well as the reso deleted. It just has a glass pack out back now. The work looks to have been done decently well, so I'll probably leave it for the time being. Has stock headers and Y-pipe on it. It also has a K&N CAI on it already. That looks to be about the extent of performance mods.

Had to pull the intake yesterday... #8's exhaust valve broke a pushrod and the intake valve popped the clip on the lifter and it all fell out into the lifter valley.. Doesn't look to be much damage so I plan to just replace those parts for now and get the car back running so I can do all of the regular maintenance stuff before getting into engine work.

I don't have any great pics yet... Pretty much did the trade (traded him for a Yamaha FZR600 I rebuilt) and drove it home and into the garage.

Good to be here though! Looks like some good info among the typical forum trolls. :laugh::grin2:

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
12,966 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Since your new to the whole v8 thing, here's some useful info for you. Your 1st stop on the tour will be to shoebx site. He has good lt1 info on there. shbox.com

Next on the tour is the 95 service manual. It pretty much has everything you need to know in there. My Files.

Your next stop will be at Google search engine. Do a search for 4th gen camaro parts book. You should find it easily. Download it as it has all part numbers and exploded views of car.

Now I'll discuss the weakest area car has. That is the optispark distributor. It is inherently unreliable. For diagnosing opti optical section problems, an oscilloscope is the only 100% way of diagnosing the low & high resolution signals. Get a PC based scope. It is only around $70 and is a tool no lt1 owner should be without.

Now to replacement opti. Buy only a GM, Delco, Delphi, or MSD opti. The rest are garbage. The MSD opti was off the list, but it seems they have fixed the bugs in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Thanks! I have done quite a bit of reading already. More info is always welcome.

On the Optispark thing: Some of the reading and research I have done says apparently the Cardone remans are Delphi units with the Mitsu sensor in them. Thoughts on that? Delphi units seem to be both very hard to find and very expensive if you can find one. Eventually I will be doing a rebuild on this car and will absolutely be replacing the whole Opti unit.

Did some preliminary pricing last night and it looks like everything I want to rebuild-wise is about $2500. That’s with Elliot LE1 heads and their stage two cam. I think its like 214/228 or something. I want to keep street driveability

Got to cut this reply short. I’m out running errands. But thank you for the reply!

Ryan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts