LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I need some input on which to choose for my Van. The 700-R4 that's in it has a broken band, and I'm trying to decide on whether to rebuild it or get a TCI Performance TH400. I know the TH400 would be the best performance choice, but I don't know about what kind of mileage I'd get with it. Mileage is especially important with gas prices the way they are because I like to take my van on long road trips once in a while. With the 700-R4, I got roughly 17 mpg on my last trip even with the built 355, which is very impressive for a minivan like mine (extended top and all). Anybody have any thoughts regarding this?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
if you need the strength of the th400 but want to retain the over drive,
why not see if someone can get a 4l80 to fit in there ;)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
but the 700r4 is what he broke... why put another one in to break it again?

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you are worried about gas prices I would rule out a th400 all together unless you have an extra 4 grand for gear veandors :thumbsup: you say you keep breaking your 700r4, has it been built by a reputable(sp?) builder or is it just a junk yard tranny?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, let me correct something. I've only broke it once. Part of that also was because when I first got the thing I drove like a maniac and I wasn't used to the vehicle, since it's the first hot-rod I've ever had (I'm only 20 as of last Thursday). The whole setup has seen better days, so I wouldn't doubt that a lot of the problem with the breakage was due to age and mileage as well. After a lot of consideration I'll pretty much decided to go with a 700r4 unless a th400 just falls in my lap (ouch, that would really hurt the thighs :p ). The question now is do I want to re-build the current one or get another one?

@Jaberwaki: A 4l80 sounds like an interesting Idea but wouldn't that cost a pretty penny?

@LS13RDGEN: I would be greatly interested in your 700 club depending on your location and cost. Where do reign and about how much are you asking?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
yeh, 4l80's are kinda pricy... but pretty much bullet proof

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Jaberwaki said:
but the 700r4 is what he broke... why put another one in to break it again?
Was the 700 in there stock? I got a built 700 that LS13rdgen put together for me using Probuilt parts and it has held up well so far. 60 or so passes on w/ NO problems.

·
Registered
340 Posts
phelan said:
@LS13RDGEN: I would be greatly interested in your 700 club depending on your location and cost. Where do reign and about how much are you asking?
I live south of Nashville TN. I have two 700R4's that are done right now. One was a stock rebuild. (i.e. replaced with stock replacement clutches, steels, seals, etc.) I am asking $250 +shipping for that one.
The other one I have has a bunch of goodies as well as a ton of new parts in it.
New rear planetary gear set, new reverse input drum/piston/clutch assembly, new front pump, mild shift kit, corvette servo and brand new 3-4 clutch pack. This should handle some more HP than a stock one will. Asking $500 + shipping.
Might deliver it for you if you are not too far of a drive.
Shoot me a U2U if interested in either one.

·
Harbinger of War
1,074 Posts
def go with the 4l80....nothing wrong with having one of the strongest out there

·
Registered
253 Posts
700R4 and 4L60E can be built to handle a pretty good amount of power if you have it built right. ;) I had mine done to what my future buildup is 383 LE2 heads and big shot of spray. It should be good for 600+RWHP. :D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
chevy94c said:
700R4 and 4L60E can be built to handle a pretty good amount of power if you have it built right. ;) I had mine done to what my future buildup is 383 LE2 heads and big shot of spray. It should be good for 600+RWHP. :D
your had a 4l60e built to hold that???

I hope that works out for you , but 4l60's have a TERRIBLE rep past high tens... there are only a few guys getting them into the low 10's...

600rwhp will most definatly put you there, even further on the right set-up... i hope your one of the lucky FEW :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate everyone's help; I decided to have my 700 R4 rebuilt. There's a shop here in town that a lot of people recommended for me because the guy does quality work for not much dough, so I took it to his shop. He rebuilt my tranny and added a Corvette servo, shift kit, stall converter and fixed the other problems I had with the tranny. It runs like hell now and it's not too hard to chirp the tires during shifts :D .

·
Registered
47 Posts
I lost 8 mpg in a buick electra when the 2004r went out and i replaced it with a turbo 350 so stay with the overdrive

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
4348rd said:
I lost 8 mpg in a buick electra when the 2004r went out and i replaced it with a turbo 350 so stay with the overdrive
I did stay with the overdrive. That's what I rebuilt ;) .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts