LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What converters do you guys run in your street driven 'race' cars? I am going to get a better, higher stalling, converter this winter but haven't picked one out yet. I've done some reading and have looked at a few but am curious to get feedback from others on what they are using.

I drive my car about 10 miles to the track on the equivalent to an interstate and cruise around town with it. I am not sure if it will happen this winter (obviously waiting for the 9"), but there is a transbrake in the future. I am thinking in thhe 4000stall range.

I had two different converters in the car this year. The first was a modified 12" from a glide that went 2800 and slipped 8% on the dyno, the second was a 10" that I borrowed from a friend that flashed 3500 and slipped 16% on the dyno. I'd like to get something much more efficient.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
stall depends on cam.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am aware of this.;)

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
The higher the Stall RPM the lower the efficiency b/c its slipping more to get the desired stall speed. It really depends on how much you drive the car, and what type of driving. If you head out on the interstate, you don't want to be constantly in the slip range of the converter. Whats the rear gear and RPM at cruise you hit the most?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a 10 mile cruise from my door, out of the city to the track. Other than that, the car sees a bit of cruising around town but spends most of the time in the pits at the track. Highway driveability isn't a huge concern to me.

Right now I have 3.73s and 26" slicks but will likely switch to 4.10s and 28" with a new rear end.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Go w/ a 4000 if time above 50-60 cruise isn't a concern. If thats too small go w/ the 4400. I have a friend w/ a 2000 SS that runs a 4800 and consistantly hits low 1.4x 60s. He does have a 4l60e though. He had to keep that b/c he drives it every day.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the dyno graph from when I had the 12" converter in. I can't find the graph from when I had the second converter. They had a load cell problem but the shape of the curve should be right. I had some issues on this run it looks like it peaked and shut down earlier than the others.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Dude w/ where your torque peak is I would honestly suggest you run a 4400 if not the 4800. You try to hit just under your torque peak w/ converter stall speed, and that would be perfect for your setup IMO. Be a hell of a launch for sure. That guy w/ the 4800 in his LS1 car, shifts at around 6700 w/ his cam and only put down 36x rwhp and is knocking on the door of 10s...

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Did you get a full run where you got all the way through the powerband? It shuts off there way before the peak IMO

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't really have any good graphs...Here are a couple from the second time I was on...not sure if there was an ignition pickup problem or what. It shows the ramp up to the torque peak though. The 3rd chart just shows the difference between the two converters. Sorry about the poor scans.

Trev

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up ordered a custom 9.5" JW converter last week. 4200 stall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts