LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1993 Z28

I'm trying to pull trouble codes from my OBD1, but my check engine light does NOT come on when the key is turned to " ON "
I know HOW to pull the codes normally, but this issue is making it physically impossible with the paperclip method. I don't have the funds available to go and buy a scan-tool.

I recently replaced the entire ignition system ( which has completely fixed the issue I was after originally ) But my SES light has come on 3 times while driving since then. All 3 times, the light has come on and gone away within maybe a 2 minute window. During the time when the light was on, the car behaved just fine. I know an OBD1 is more " real time " than a OBD2 in the manner than an OBD1 SES light only comes on when there is an immediate issue and will go away as soon as the issue is solved.

I noticed that my 02 sensor wire coming from the sensor on the Y-pipe is burned ( which I believe to be the source of the SES coming on in the 1st place. I could have mistaken the wire in question though. ) but I would still like to solve this potential issue before it comes back and bites me in the behind.
The car has been driving perfect since I got the Ignition replaced. ( Found a brand new AC Delco opti for $75 )
Mod wise, the car only has a cat-back, shift kit and 3.73 rear-end gears so nothing should set off any codes in a OBD1 system.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
You say the CEL does not come on during the startup sequence, yet does come on when there is a trouble? And will not come on when you try the paperclip? That sounds like an intermittent problem with either the computer or wiring to the CEL or the lamp, itself.

Most often, a light (if not of the flashing variety) that comes and goes while cruising will be for EGR. Anyone that works on their own car(s) should really invest in a scanner. It is money saved in the long run.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts