LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I twisted the splines on the trans yoke a few weeks ago and that made it vibrate real bad at any speed so I got a strange yoke and had a driveshaft made. I got the new driveshaft in yesterday and took it for a spin. It's smooth as butter til you hit 75 mph then something starts vibrating so bad it'll shake yer teeth out. If I put a little pressure on the clutch pedal I can feel it vibrate too. It's not rpm dependent just mph. The driveshaft was balanced, at what speed I don't know but it was balanced without the new yoke. Any ideas? I'm really sick of this car! :angry:

·
Registered
138 Posts
sounds like the driveshaft. the same thign happened on my buddys formula. at about 75-80 it felt like the ****ing car was gonna come apart. have the driveshaft checked for balance again.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if I found the prob or not. I jacked the car up and shook the driveshaft and I can see the yoke on the shaft slide back and forth on the u joint just a lil bit. It does this on both ends but only on the driveshaft side not the trans or pinion yoke side. My old driveshaft doesn't do this at all and they are old joints too. I'm thinking the yokes spread out when they were welded on or the snap ring grooves were machined wrong. I'm taking it back to the guy next week to get something done about that.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I went with a guy in Paris, Wiles Auto. A couple of guys at work recommended him. He built a shaft for one of the guys that has a jeep with a 327 and 35" tires that can bark 3rd gear in it so I figured he built a pretty strong shaft if it stands up to that all the time. The thing looks good, the welds are smooth as butter. Maybe it's just a freak thing, or it's just my luck I think. lol

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got off the phone with the guy and he said my trans yoke was way out of balance so we'll see if that fixes it. I started once to take the yoke with me when I went to pick up the driveshaft so he could balance it too but I didn't. :) I still say that slack in the u joint aint helping any, I've never had new u joints do like that. He's a pretty nice guy, they aren't charging me for the re-balance and it's an hour and a half drive down there so he's shipping the thing back to me at no cost to me (next day shipping) and he said they'll do whatever it takes to make it right. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drove it to work tonight, smooth as buttah. Actually there is a slight vibration at 80 but it's still better than it was when I bought the car brand new. This guy only spins the shaft at 500 to balance it, might call Dave's and see if he does a high speed balance to get rid of that slight vibration. You should see the thick ass weight it took to balance it on the trans yoke end, I bet it's a 1/4" thick! That yoke must be lop sided as hell.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Dave's in Nashvegas does NOT spin balance

I had to bring my $250 DS from Dave's down to a place near here for a $60 balancing. It's much nicer now, now the only vibe I can feel is my twisted axle, lol

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He builds racing driveshafts and doesn't balance them?? Wow, I'm glad I went with this guy instead. Mine was only $207 too. :thumbsup: Is there a place in or around Nashville that can do a good high speed balance? Where did you take yers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts