LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 98 or newer trans am. I was wondering what you guys would do to it from stock form. I hear a lot of guys do exhuast heads and cams off the bat. I am use to honda's so I am not sure where to start on a V8. Thanks for any input ahead of time. :)

-Chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
if you get an auto, fist things first should be free mods, lid, longtubes, cutout, converter, and sticky tires.

if it's a 6-spd, then same as above, but throw a shifter in also.

if you're a good driver, you'll run 12's easily with either set-up, and they're all affordable mods. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
um sorry to be ignorant but what do you mean free mods? and what do you mean by lid, longtubes, and cutout? It will definetly be a 6-spd.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ok, first off, check here for all free mods: www.installuniversity.com/install_university/index.htm
all the free mods are in there, as well as some other useful info on many other mods.

When I say a lid, I'm talking about an air inducttion piece for the f-bodies, and when I talk about longtubes, I'm talking about longtube headers, and when I'm talking about a cutout, I'm referring to an exhaust mod where you can purchase a piece called a cutout, have it installed in your stock intermediate pipe, and you can then uncap it, and run open exhaust whenever you like. It's cheap, and very cost-effective. Unless of course you're someone who doesn't mind spending a nice lil chunk of change just to have what you think is a decent sounding exhaust. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I just finished reading the thread on "so you want to be fast" and figured out what you meant.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
LOL. Hey, somebody took the time to type all that stuff out, I figured it was gentler to post the links than to to the whole "its called SEARCH" thing newbies get at other boards. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you goes know if these cars are having any problems that I should address before I tear into it? Like for example water pumps go bad after so many miles or what not?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
LS1 cars don't really have a lot of those kinds of problems...you just drive it until something goes bad. Especially on a bolt-on car there's no need to do a lot of replacement maintenance.

If you do a cam its probably a good move to replace the oil pump....an LS1 guy can tell you more about that but it seems that is often replaced along with the cam.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK thats cool, is there a buying guild for these cars like things to look out for? I am trying to find a stock 98+ trans am with low miles...I am guessing I would want to buy from an older gentalmen as the car might not have been beat on as much.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
I'd prefer a stock unmolested car vs. a modded one, if that is what you are saying, but good luck finding one that hasn't been at least lightly modded. A private party sale is probably your best bet as these cars are still overpriced on dealer lots IMO.

Look out for all the normal car stuff...you want a straight body, clean, non-smoker, etc. etc. Its really hard to trash an LS1 so as long as the miles are good there's not going to be anything wrong with the motor. Make sure the trans shifts well, etc. etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't wait to get one I have always wanted one. I was into the imports for awhile becuase they are alittle more affordable but finally decided that the honda should be my beater car and the trans am will be my real play toy :)

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Once you come over to a V8 you will be hooked for life...be prepared to spend hours/day daydreaming about mods and be prepared to waste massive amounts of cash on parts :D

Having said that...yes the car is pricier but its a lot cheaper to make fast than any Honda. Lid + Cutout = 12's. That's under $200 invested aside from the purchase price of the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Once you come over to a V8 you will be hooked for life...be prepared to spend hours/day daydreaming about mods and be prepared to waste massive amounts of cash on parts :D

Having said that...yes the car is pricier but its a lot cheaper to make fast than any Honda. Lid + Cutout = 12's. That's under $200 invested aside from the purchase price of the car.
Wow thats crazy! I figured it would take more then that. Good stuff :cool:

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Some cars will run 12's stock...that's the power of the LS1.

I personally witnessed NICETRY's 2000 SS run 12.97 totally bone stock...seems like it was 110mph or so?

·
Registered
145 Posts
yeah....110.03. I eventually got it down to a 12.66 @112 with a lid, filter, cutout, shifter, free mods, and Nittos. :) Then the real mods came. :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
if possible get a 99+ do to some small differences between the 98s and the rest of the years. if its a 98-00, get an LS6 intake manifold also. the most important thing will be gettin used to a real car. that will make you the faster quicker, especially with an M6.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NICETRY said:
yeah....110.03. I eventually got it down to a 12.66 @112 with a lid, filter, cutout, shifter, free mods, and Nittos. :) Then the real mods came. :D
Thats cool, I'm guessing you know how to drive then ;) What would be different from the 98 to the 99+ models? I am not trying to spend a crap load on buying the car. I was looking at like 12 grand.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts