LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i put 3:42 gears in, my speedometer is way off....anybody know what i need to do to get it to work right with my new gears? The cheapest route if possible...i dont know what the stock gears are, i did this along time ago....1998 Trans Am LS-1...thanks

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'd just get a mail order tune. It'll give you performance benefits as well as correct your speedo. They are usually cheaper then handheld tuners and give you a nicer performance gain IMO.

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
I'd get a local tuner, over mail order. Mail order is based on the assumption that every system is 100% which very well may not be the case.

·
Registered
970 Posts
^ True but if he doesn't have anyone around that will do it, I'd go with a mail order. The closest shop that tunes LS's is 3 1/2 hours away.

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
3.5 hours is worth it if your TB doesn't open all the way or you're going lean at WOT. 2 issues with my car that mail order couldn't see, but was noticed within a few minutes with a live tune.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I work 70+ hours a week lol I don't have time for a hour drive haha. If your car is running fine I don't see a problem with a mail order tune. Several people do it. I had it on my 95 and it helped quite a bit.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Check out pcm4less they do mail order tunes he tuned my car in person i only live 40 minutes away i had a pair of 3.73s. Before i got the tune i had a hypertec hand held it fixed the speedo and i didnt notice any power gains. After i got the tune it also fixed the speedo and i could tell a big differance in power night and day you just call and talk to them and tell them everything that is done to the car and they and make a tune for it. And a tune is cheaper than a hand held i think mine was $180 bucks and if you put a 160 stat in it they can tweek the timing alittle getting you just alittle bit more power

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
My car was running fine, just under powered.

Its a gamble, and I used pcmforless.

I'm curious how many of you guys suggesting mail order have owned an LS car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Greed4speed knows what he's talking about here people. Mail orders are generally recommended for lt1s due to hardly anyone tuning then anymore. But ls is a different story, there shouldn't be the need for a mail order tune on an ls1 car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd just get a mail order tune. It'll give you performance benefits as well as correct your speedo. They are usually cheaper then handheld tuners and give you a nicer performance gain IMO.
X2, you will be happy you did it. The tune & speedo recalibration will also adjust your shift points & make a difference. Your car should be shifting way to fast after the swap. Post how good it feels after you do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts