LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear 4th Gen F body enthusiasts

The day has come that I always knew would come. I have a 1994 Pontiac Firebird Firehawk with LT1 engine. I need a part with has been made obsolete by General Motors about 10 years ago. It is a metal coolant pipe which has a specified geometry and runs close to the engine block, GM 10108635. It is leaking due to corrosion damage and needs to be replaced. Part # 6 on image below.

I have not been able to locate this part and was wondering if anyone else has been in the position of needing to replace it. Perhaps there’s a suitable modification or after market part that can be used. Any help very much appreciated.

Best regards
Grahame Taylor (Houston, Texas)

·
Global Moderator
13,643 Posts
Have you tried Ebay? They have many obsolete parts.

Next suggestion is to make the part yourself. You will need tubing, flaring tool, a tube bender. You will also need to know what size the fitting on the back of the tube bolts on to. Weather it's metric or US size. And the number of threads per inch or centimeter. You would choose tubing that is about the same size as original.

Try craigs list and find people parting out camaros & firebirds with the 3.8. They might have what you need. And you might get lucky and find a tube in great shape.

Pipes like that rust out because people run stright water when car is older.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this solution is much harder to accomplish than you want to do but I have seen the steam pipe replaced by AN fittings and hose. Drilling and tapping the back of the heads is required so access for you will be hard/expensive but it's a more permanent solution than hoping to find a used one that my rust through too soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think this is what you're looking for (not recommending that you buy this particular one or anything, just a possibly helpful link):

1 - 5 of 5 Posts