LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know who yet, but somebody's going to lose a race to me soon, LOL.

Actually the wife and I were in the Maxima last night when a guy in an Exterra pulls up into the right turn lane. I'm in the right-most straight lane. His lane ends. I know when the light turns green he's going to try to cut me off and get in front.

That kind of cheating pisses me off. If you wanted to go straight you should have gotten in line before the lane ended, jackass. He was even riding my ass on the interstate before we exited.

Light turns green and I floor it, I punish him badly with the holeshot, and he is forced behind me. Then when the left lane clears he of course blows by trying to show off, but its too late because I already proved my point and ticked him off :D

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red Devil said:
Have you learned how to shift yet? :D
Depends on how quickly you are talking.

I have the 1-2 down decently, at least Chris M. said I did. 2-3 is slower but that's still a stock shifter I'm using too.

And since my first trip racing it was 1/8th I've not even practiced the 3-4 shift yet under racing conditions.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Here's what I do when I shift, maybe it'll help you out a big...

For 1-2 I just grab the handle like a hammer (sort-of) and pull back and in towards my hips

For 2-3 I place the heel of my palm on the shifter knob and then push forward kind of towards the radio face

For 3-4 I make almost a fist, but only with my fingers extended (makes an "L" from the side) and pull straight back towards the cupholder with my fingertips.

I know it seems elementary but it's really helped speed my shifting up a lot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My wife should have driving a manual down....

I can remember the first time I raced a car with a manual....It took me a few trips to get it down....I can remember some 16 second time slips from a 14 second car....lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
T56's are such a BISH to shift with stock shifters. Im used to 5 speeds. I was in a couple '03 cobras last year and i damn near missed every time from 2nd to 3rd.. usually went 2nd to 5th :icon_pale:

Just seemed like too many gears in too little space for me. I used a pro 5.0 shifter for many years, but this year i went to a steeda Tri-ax, and MAN its an improvement. shifter is much closer and easier to get to... 3rd is almost impossible to miss. and the throws seem so much shorter. with the pro 5.0 i didnt put the shifter far enough into 3rd a couple times and got a neat synchro grind in rapport. Im also using a lighter gear box this year where as i used the tremec last year, so that may play a little into it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
that's a ford only piece? I'm looking into shifters and pro 5.0 seems to be garner the best LS1 reviews...

·
Registered
58 Posts
The steeda tri-ax? yeah, unfortunatly it is. I cant believe how nice it is though really.. I thought for years that they were pretty much the same as pro 5.0 but evidently not!. Mustangs have such a larger selection of shifters than F bodies do, and im not quite sure why. Even the 03 cobra T-56 shifters from UPR and the like wont fit an F body for some reason.

A new shifter that just came out is the MGW. Alot of great reviews so far, especially from T56 cobra guys, i just havent seen one or anything myself. Totaly new shifter design. These guys also make camaro and corvette stuff, so maybe an F body unit isnt far behind?

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Articles/MGW-Short-Throw-Shifter.html

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Chris can't shift... just let me take it for spin one day and I will show you how its done Chris!!! :fu

·
Registered
838 Posts
*cough*MywifefirstownedtheCobraandknowshowtoraceinit*cough* :angel

And the GT (that would rape the Cobra easily) before that. You must be doing something wrong.? :D? :fu

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think Chris just needs to ride along with me a couple of times, and I can give him some, unforgettable, driving lessons! :angel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts