LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I have a 6 speed car. But with my goals, a 6 speed doesn't really fit. So I have a friend who has been wanting to go M6, and I gave him a call. We're most likely swapping tranny's and everything that goes along with it. I'll be giving up my stock t-56/Spec Stage 3/ Pro 5.0 set-up. In return I'll be getting a Stage 5 4L60E, Midwest 4200 convertor, a B&M 24k trans cooler and all of the neccesary parts. I'd also be installing a trans brake.

I'm throwing in a decently larger cam and some N2O. Not too sure wether I'm going to go with a wet kit or a fogger yet though.

So what do you think? Sound good?

·
Registered
612 Posts
damn straight. hope that works out for you. i may go from A4 to M6 eventually for ORR.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Man, I love the M6 especially in Skyline.....I punished those A4's on the uphill even with my heavy, sagging azzzzz car. Seems you need stalls, and higher shift points for the A4's and the drivetrain loss is greater, but all depends on what you are seeking.
Transcoolers, etc., and just seems A4's involve much more on the tweaking end than a manual. But as you pointed out, much more consisentency on the 1/4

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
After converting to the M6 and the disaster of me trying to drag race a stick car.......for a serious track effort an auto is the ONLY choice.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LiquidFire350 said:
i didnt think you could put a trans-brake on a 4L60-E

then again, still have no idea what a trans brake is or even how it works/what it does
It's kind of like dumping the clutch. You push the button, and hammer the gas. Then when the light turns green, let go and hold on. This way you don't need to use the foot brake.

Firehawk 526 said:
Man, I love the M6 especially in Skyline.....I punished those A4's on the uphill even with my heavy, sagging azzzzz car. Seems you need stalls, and higher shift points for the A4's and the drivetrain loss is greater, but all depends on what you are seeking.
Transcoolers, etc., and just seems A4's involve much more on the tweaking end than a manual. But as you pointed out, much more consisentency on the 1/4
I love driving the M6 with out a doubt. But for my goals, It makes much more sense to give it up. I know I'll lose more power, but the consistency will more than make up for it. As for the tweaking, my buddy owns a shop who does alot for my car. I also get alot of tuning. This past year my car logged over 700 miles on the dyno.

Chris 96 WS6 said:
After converting to the M6 and the disaster of me trying to drag race a stick car.......for a serious track effort an auto is the ONLY choice.
It's alot more fun to drive around, but not so fun at the track.

·
Registered
18 Posts
gettinthere said:
The only downside is that I really do love driving the 6 speed. But I know the A4 will be much more consistent.
Yeah, the fun factor with a 6-speed is enormous. I wish I had one .

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
I don't know if I'd go that far, Chris. There's a lot of us guys that have been driving manuals all our adult lives (not very long in my case, lol) that would totally disagree with you.

When I build my trailor queen track car she's still going to have a manual, albeit a lenco...

It's a little different in your case, learning to drive a stick and going to the track in a couple month time span. It might have been frustrating for you, but a lot of us like making ourselves more consistant, not rely on a computer.

Having said that, there's a lot of REALLY fast TH400 and built 4l60e cars out there :Dthere

·
Registered
17 Posts
im not goin to say 1 is better than the other because they both have good qualities, but i drive an A4 and i the way i look at it a computer can shift a hell of alot faster than a person can ;)

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
CamTom12 said:
I don't know if I'd go that far, Chris. There's a lot of us guys that have been driving manuals all our adult lives (not very long in my case, lol) that would totally disagree with you.

When I build my trailor queen track car she's still going to have a manual, albeit a lenco...

It's a little different in your case, learning to drive a stick and going to the track in a couple month time span. It might have been frustrating for you, but a lot of us like making ourselves more consistant, not rely on a computer.

Having said that, there's a lot of REALLY fast TH400 and built 4l60e cars out there :Dthere
Sure, there are a lot of guys out there racing M6's, but go look up the fastest street cars of any make/brand.....cars running 8's and 9's are NOT running manual transmissions.

Not saying you can't race an M6 but when you start talking about 28" slicks and 600hp+, etc. etc. you are in automatic country. Its more consistant, 60ft is superior and they can be built to ultimately handle more power (TH400 for example).

If you're looking to have fun, or a fast street/strip car, M6 is great. If you are putting together a serious racing effort you're going to go auto. Its that simple IMO. My personal experience is irrelevant here. If I were going for some kind of ET record I sure as hell wouldn't be doing it with an M6 unless it was something like a bolt-on only record.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Not saying you can't race an M6 but when you start talking about 28" slicks and 600hp+, etc. etc. you are in automatic country. Its more consistant, 60ft is superior and they can be built to ultimately handle more power (TH400 for example).

This is where my predicament comes in. I'll be on 28" Hoosiers and (on the gun) about 750rwhp.

·
Registered
612 Posts
the only blazing fast cars i see runnin m6s are goin for records for such.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Smart man. Shifting your own gears is overrated. And I have plenty of fun driving my A4 car on the street. When I'm on the gas the car moves and I enjoy the power, but in the same car I can sit back and cruise around without having to worry about a heavy clutch in traffic. Stalled autos are superior in every way but a highway roll race IMO, and thats only +1 for the M6 whereas the autos have a ton of pros and very few cons.

And the auto is not only more consistent from race to race, but 99% of the time faster given a perfect auto run and a perfect M6 run when it comes down to faster cars (11 seconds and quicker). People talk about insanly fast cars still having manuals, but alot of those are clutchless and that garbage doesn't even count (its basically a MVB auto IMO). A street style manual transmission can only take you so far, and it looks like you reached the limit. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Key words to everyone's post in this whole thread (including mine): IMO.

Go with what makes you and your goals happy.

My goals are 10s full interior (including jack and spare) daily driver. M6.

I'll build another, real race car (stripped, full drag susp., trailer queen) with a lenco (which IMO is not much different after the launch then a TH400, but it's the finesse in the launch that I want to make right by myself) and shot for 8's when I hit my goals with Christine.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
josh99ta said:
Smart man. Shifting your own gears is overrated. And I have plenty of fun driving my A4 car on the street. When I'm on the gas the car moves and I enjoy the power, but in the same car I can sit back and cruise around without having to worry about a heavy clutch in traffic. Stalled autos are superior in every way but a highway roll race IMO, and thats only +1 for the M6 whereas the autos have a ton of pros and very few cons.

And the auto is not only more consistent from race to race, but 99% of the time faster given a perfect auto run and a perfect M6 run when it comes down to faster cars (11 seconds and quicker). People talk about insanly fast cars still having manuals, but alot of those are clutchless and that garbage doesn't even count (its basically a MVB auto IMO). A street style manual transmission can only take you so far, and it looks like you reached the limit. Congrats.
The one thing I hate about the M6 is driving it in heavy traffic. 450rwhp and too small of gears are not a good combo. And yes, I think I have reached my limit with the M6. I know the trans can go further, but I don't want to take it further.

CamTom12 said:
Key words to everyone's post in this whole thread (including mine): IMO.

Go with what makes you and your goals happy.

My goals are 10s full interior (including jack and spare) daily driver. M6.

I'll build another, real race car (stripped, full drag susp., trailer queen) with a lenco (which IMO is not much different after the launch then a TH400, but it's the finesse in the launch that I want to make right by myself) and shot for 8's when I hit my goals with Christine.
Around me there are much more auto (A3/A4) cars than there are M6 cars. And one of my goals is to win races. I'll be honest, I street race more than I should. And having a manual trans is a disadvantage when launching against the large stalled auto's. I have to hope to reel them in.

My goal was the same as yours. 10's at (almost) full weight out of the M6. now my goals have changed. I want a car that will go 9.90-10.10s on the track and be good for 10.50's on the street. I feel that is what I need to be competitive up here. There are many sub 11 second street cars where I live.

It also helps to have the backing of one of the most notorious street racers in the country.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
That's cool man, good luck!

I like the finesse of the launch and besting my times, but it's just a different set of goals. There's definately no judging one set against the other.

And for the M6 haters (Josh, lol)... Don't forget that even with the clutchless manuals you still have to launch the cars (one of your key arguments for the autos and then saying that clutchless doesn't count as a manual, haha)

and here's some M6 guys in the 9's...
1) http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/etdb_slip.php?id=223 (LT1 car)
2) http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/etdb_slip.php?id=67 (LT1 car)
3) http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/etdb_slip.php?id=610 (LS1 with a Jerico, but not a clutchless)... etc.

Auto's aren't the only option, but they are the easiest and they're pretty damn consistant

By the way... Hey Chris, can we load up a DB like that for timeslips? I might could write it up in Access if you want... Lemme know :)

Oh, and where are you going to be for the first? I'll be in Nashtown with the guys and it'd cool to hang out if you can :D

/hijack

1 - 20 of 34 Posts