LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a question. so ive read that lt1 m6 car's first gear will go to 35. but my car will hit a lil over 40 at 6K.. this is how it was when i got it. now i have receipts saying gear and pinion have been changed. (did not specify size) and the tranny has been serviced but only with fluids and new clutch not the actual internals at least not any receipts to prove it. any suggestions to why this is? thanks in advance!

-Chaz

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
hey guys i have a question. so ive read that lt1 m6 car's first gear will go to 35. but my car will hit a lil over 40 at 6K.. this is how it was when i got it. now i have receipts saying gear and pinion have been changed. (did not specify size) and the tranny has been serviced but only with fluids and new clutch not the actual internals at least not any receipts to prove it. any suggestions to why this is? thanks in advance!

-Chaz
Mine goes to 42 in 1st with stock 3.42

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
I would think that hitting 60 in 1st gear would require a rear gear ratio of like 2.73 So the speed your getting in 1st sound about right.

You can do a quick gear ratio check by jacking rear end up. spin tire 1 complete revolution and see how many revolutions drive shaft makes. 2.73 gear would mean drive shaft makes 2.73 revolutions. 3.42 gears= 3.42 revolutions of drive shaft. And so on.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
if you jack the rear up, mark the driveshaft and the tire, and count the number of driveshaft rotations it takes for a tire rotation...

then compare to the stock axle gear ratio (check your RPO sticker)

if the gears were swapped and the speedo wasn't corrected for it, you might not even be doing 40 like you think...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
steveo i had those exact suspicions when i first got the car lol but my speedo is correct i had a buddy get next to me doin thirty and we sat side by side and i actually had a cop (family friend) clock me goin down the road at thirty an he pulled up thirty on his radar. so the speedo is correct. thanks for the input!

-Chaz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts