LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my price point is $30 or less per shock. im doing what i can with my income. i know everyone has always said blistens are the best but they are $$$. autozone carries gabriel ultra's at $25 per shock. advanced auto parts has monroe, i could buy the less expensive yellow shocks at $30 for the pair with an online 30% discount, that's cheap and probably better then whats on the car. they are gas-a-matic shocks but i have read mixed reviews on them. advanced auto parts also has monroe sensi-trac shocks but i havent read anything good about them, they would be $40 for the pair. are monroe shocks any good or are they just a brand to all out avoid.

the other option is buying some KYB shocks from rock auto but they are going to cost me double AND i have wait for them. that would be $70 just for the back shocks. i have to watch my budget for now, i have already dumped allot of money into this car, i am happy with the results so far but im sure it wont end with the shocks so i have to watch what i spend on shocks and struts because im sure there will be something else at some point.

the back shocks are worse then the front struts so the backs are going to get replaced first. when i push down on the bumper the rear suspension compresses quite a bit so i think the rear shocks have had it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just get the cheapest ones, I have KYB and it wasn't a big difference from my blown shocks! haha. They are def on the Firm side, not soft at all, but potholes aren't frame-jarring anymore, lol. The car doesn't sag down under hard turns anymore though, so that's a big plus! haha.

Just pay a shop to rip out and compress the new shocks. Doing it at home was a HUGE pain in the ass, so much corrosion, my struts would Not come out, had to buy all new springs, cups, rubbers and everything....ugghhhhh....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the job is done. the passenger side strut was so bad that the nut on the end of the piston wouldnt come off, completely rusted together so i ended up cutting the think off and replacing the strut mount. otherwise it wasnt too bad, although i do not like those rent-a-tool compressors. i used them before its always fun. there is a local shop that i could have taken the removed strut there and just have them swap over the spring assembly.

the job is done and the car rides much better. i DO NOT pay a shop to do my work. i would never simply drop the car off and tell them to fix it.... one exception, transmission rebuilds are not something i do myself lol.

on this 4th gen car i would contemplate dropping the car off if i had to have the engine removed but im not sure. im not so sure about having to remove the engine from underneath the car, it does not look like fun

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'm running Stagg Shocks (about $150 shipped for all 4). They are cheap, but have treated me well for over 2 years without any issues. They seem to work well with my cheapo Summit Racing springs (Eibach Pro copy's).

I haven't driven in a car with Strano's or Koni's or Bilstiens yet, but when I do I'll post what I think between the two. As far as the set up I have, it's definitely better than stock (which isn't hard to beat). The progressive rate of the springs does help with ride quality, but she still has no issues turning.

The quality of the Staggs are very good IMO. Especially for the price. I put them up there with Founders Performance, excellent build quality for a bang out price! As far as shock settings (bound/rebound) I couldn't tell you for sure how they compare to the big name makers. But can tell you I've got over 20K miles on mine in the last 2 years or so without a single issue.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
the job is done. the passenger side strut was so bad that the nut on the end of the piston wouldnt come off, completely rusted together so i ended up cutting the think off and replacing the strut mount. otherwise it wasnt too bad, although i do not like those rent-a-tool compressors. i used them before its always fun. there is a local shop that i could have taken the removed strut there and just have them swap over the spring assembly.

the job is done and the car rides much better. i DO NOT pay a shop to do my work. i would never simply drop the car off and tell them to fix it.... one exception, transmission rebuilds are not something i do myself lol.

on this 4th gen car i would contemplate dropping the car off if i had to have the engine removed but im not sure. im not so sure about having to remove the engine from underneath the car, it does not look like fun
Nice, what shocks did you go with?

I feel the same way you do about shops working on my cars. I do my transmissions though, and A/C. Anything on my car, I do. I don't want a shop messing it up. My last two trips to the shop ended with me re-doing their work and forcing a refund from them.

I pulled my engine from the top. You need to remove the front accessories, the transmission, and the intake to get it out the top, but it will come out the top with little more hassle than any other car.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Opps i meant to say rip out the shocks and pay a shop to compress them if you didn't know how, cause it's dangerous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so my price point is $30 or less per shock. im doing what i can with my income. i know everyone has always said blistens are the best but they are $$$. autozone carries gabriel ultra's at $25 per shock. advanced auto parts has monroe, i could buy the less expensive yellow shocks at $30 for the pair with an online 30% discount, that's cheap and probably better then whats on the car. they are gas-a-matic shocks but i have read mixed reviews on them. advanced auto parts also has monroe sensi-trac shocks but i havent read anything good about them, they would be $40 for the pair. are monroe shocks any good or are they just a brand to all out avoid.

the other option is buying some KYB shocks from rock auto but they are going to cost me double AND i have wait for them. that would be $70 just for the back shocks. i have to watch my budget for now, i have already dumped allot of money into this car, i am happy with the results so far but im sure it wont end with the shocks so i have to watch what i spend on shocks and struts because im sure there will be something else at some point.

the back shocks are worse then the front struts so the backs are going to get replaced first. when i push down on the bumper the rear suspension compresses quite a bit so i think the rear shocks have had it.
For more information about shocks please visit the website here https://jeepequipment.com/best-shocks-for-jeep-jk-tj-review
Well, shock absorbers usually give you better handling, while struts give you a lower initial cost for the vehicle. Now if you want to check these, and they should be checked on a regular basis, you're going to do two things; number one you're going to bounce the vehicle up and down, and you do that over each wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts