LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 firebird formula we had to change the steering column and since then the shift lock seems weird. My question is how should the shifter lock actually work when the car is off i can pressin the button and move it into gear without pressing on the brake. When the car is running if i press on the brake it goes into gear but when its running and i dont press on the break it actually locks and wont let the button release so i can put into gear is it functioning right should i be able to move the shifter with the car off. With not pressing brake wtf??

· Premium Member
13,697 Posts
There is a small solenoid next to the shift mechanism, that is activated when you press on the brake pedal with the ignition switch in on, start,, and I think accessory. The solenoid engaging is what lets you shift.

The system is designed not to let the shifter leave park unless key is on and brake pedal is pushed. If yours does not work that way something is wrong.

However, I believe once out of park you can move shifter to any gear position without it locking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.