LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really by self tune i mean should i buy the cables and the tune from pcm4less and tune the car myself or just buy the ecu from pcm4less? If i get the cables and all, what all exactly do i need to get? It would be new for me to do but i figure if i got the right program i could use everything to tune my car and get whatever else i need to keep tabs on how my car is running and read any dtc's and do any future updates i need to do. My car is a 95 trans am with lt4 heads and hot cam, A4, getting 3.42's soon, msd ignition, descreened maf, cold air intake, hooker lt's with 3" flowmaster, tb airfoil, may upgrade to 52mm tb soon.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
If you're going to be doing a mail order tune, the company can tell you what you need to buy to do an email tune instead. Of the two options, I'd do an email tune because 1) you don't have to wait to drive your car while the PCM is in the mail (if they don't send you another) and 2) because you can probably do some logging and cross-checking via email with the stuff you'd need to buy and they could get you a spot-on tune instead of a one-time mail-order guesstimation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
what I did was I have both PCMforless and madz28 tunes. I wanted to just try them for the hell of it. Plus Ion had to fix my PCM (damn hyperjunk).
They were almost even in dynos. I also have Tunercat so I can adjust my shift points (cruise mode) and do some other small stuff that I want to change. Definately get the unlimited update package. Make sure to tell him you are using tunercat so he can send you a .bin file. If not the email version of a tune will have the install software with it. You just need to print and read the "read me" file.
The cable will come from Andrew at AKMcables.com He is now making them for usb ports. The cost is around $100 and well worth it.
If you get Tunercat, you will need the basic tuner package and the $EE file for LT1's total about $80 and it's all emailed to you...too easy.
Like I said, I use it more for personal preferences in shifts and maybe a little tweeking in some areas and also use it for speed density fun. I even still use a desktop in the garage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like self tune, but that my preference. Some people really like the mail order tunes. There is a huge learning curve to self tunning, but after I learned it's actually fun. If you are computer oriented at all I'd say self tune. But others will disagree. :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Well in the spirit of all things hot rod and calling myself a car guy i say LT1 edit or LS1 edit ... there are plenty of people using it that makes starting points a cinch .. but the guys in here will tell you if your off by just a little bit, your car wont love you ... use it only if you have the freedom to exercise patients in the search for that extra edge.. (so why i am i ? , hell i stay frustrated)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hate doing this but im wondering what the best software for a lt1 is? i wanna get something to do self tunes but something that is somewhat easy and understandable. Is there anything to use on a palm and pc? sorry again for taking your thread i just need help in same area

1 - 8 of 8 Posts