LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone. Having just recently purchased a 2002 Z28, I was shocked this morning when I started my car and the security light did not go off upon ignition. Anyway, the car works just fine and everything, starts and all, but there is clearly a problem right? Conflicting sources tell me everything between put tape over it to take it to the dealer now because its gonna quit on me when I need it the most. Anyway, I am a student and money is an issue. Would a vats bypass (resistors under the steering column)solve this problem? Also, please note that I only have one set of keys and yes, it is clean.

·
Global Moderator
13,566 Posts
Go to shbox.com and read about vats there. If vats detects a problem after allowing the car to start, it will continue to do so unless battery power is lost.

Read shoebox's write up on vats. Then clean your key and see if it stops the light from staying on. The resistor trick would be the next thing to try if cleaning key doesn't work.

Finally in about 5% of vats cases a complete bypass of vats is needed. This is accomplished by a bypass module that sends the fuel enable signal to pcm. And manually bypassing the starter relay so vats not involved there either.

Or in those 5% cases tuning vats out of pcm works also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I bypassed the vats, but the security light stays on. Sent it to work with a friend today in hopes that the code just needs deleted. Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Had that issue on my 96.....so I drove it, got out and locked it with alarm set, cleaned my key, tapped on my antenna base to cause the alarm to sound, got back in, slowly put in key, turned to ignition but not so it would turnover, jiggled the key, took it out, put it back in at normal speed and when I started the car the security light flashed twice at me and never came back on again.

Had a buddy recommend that to me when his 00 did the same thing.......idk if this helps but just thought I'd give my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts