LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Borg-Warner T56 transmission from a '96 Camaro that has low mileage on it (30k give or take). It lives behind my 500 horsepower LT1 motor in my '92 Camaro. my second gear is grinding very badly ever since the cold weather hit. It doesn't matter how long I drive the car for, second seems to go in easier than the rest of the gears and grinds very badly almost every time unless I go very slowly into it. It is not constant though. Yesterday it seemed to be fine and it was okay part of the day today as well even with higher-rpm shifting, then it started up again. All other gears shift like butter so I don't think hydraulics are the issue...

Is this typical of T56 transmissions? Should I go for a rebuild? If so, are there any recommendations you could make for me? I'm about a half hour north of New York City.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm pretty sure at this point that it's the synchro for that gear. Thinking of going with something like thegearbox.org's stage 2 kit. Any advice from some transmission guys?

·
Registered
562 Posts
TickShift, The Gear Box, and D&D are all good. I don't remember what comes in the level 2 kits, but new blocker rings are always on the list in a rebuild. The Viper 2nd gear, a steel 3/4 shift fork, and billet 3/4 keys are very good upgrades as well. It's good to throw new bearings in there too if it's in your budget, but if you don't have bearing noise you'll be okay skipping them (some of them are a real pain to replace too).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts