LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a lot of mixed reviews. Some swear by it and others curse it. I have heard of several people hydro locking their engines because of it. But that's just human error, right?

I was thinking of giving it a try. What do you think?

·
Registered
277 Posts
seafoam is only a risk when the USER does not read the damn instructions. The only reason the motor will HYDROLOCK is cause they poured in the seafoam TOO FAST. It's not like putting gas in a gas tank, you pour it slowly and try to keep the engine running until your done putting the required amount as per the bottle.

So read the instructions and you'll be fine. I did it to my 94 mercedes benz s-420 about 3 times and it worked perfect everytime! I also did it once to my 99 ls1 TA and again, no problems as long as you read the instructions.

Goodluck and yes it's worth it! :) Their is a big difference in the engine sound, performance, mpg, etc. and no i'm not a seafoam affiliate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I've heard a lot of good things about the way it works. I figured it was people that didn't know what they were doing that gave the bad reviews.

·
Registered
277 Posts
yeah definitely, no problem. I had my skeptics at first as we'll and was scared too, but yeah... just read the instructions and you'll be happy at the end :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
it wont hurt. seafoam isnt really a solvent. it's a very light oil. it'll either help a bit or do nothing depending on how bad your carbon deposits are.

if your motor was heavily carboned, plan to do an oil change right after. a lot of that carbon (and some blackened seafoam) will go right past your rings into your crankcase, and your oil will be black

with seafoam you want to immedately take it for a nice hard drive and get it up to full operating temperature after using it

it shouldn't foul your plugs if you drive the hell of of it -- it'll probably clean them

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently seafoamed my 97 Tahoe, with the 5.7 Vortec. It has 137k on it. I first put in around 6oz through the brake vacuum line, slowing letting the engine ingest it. As it was being absorbed, clouds of smelly smoke started coming out the tail pipe, obviously it was starting to work immediately. I ran the engine at a mid-to high rpm idle for around five minutes. More smoke. About a week later, I put the remainder into the crankcase. Now, let me backtrack a bit. I was experiencing a check engine light, throwing a crankcase to camshaft position error. I had a noisy lifter. I seafoamed the oil. I then had to replace the distributor due to the fact the drive gear was starting to shear off. Ok, so new distributor, seafoam in the crankcase and now, engine light off and lifter noise gone. I'll be doing a oil change this weekend and plan to add a quart of Mystery oil and then change it again in another 1k miles. So I would have to say, if you apply the Seafoam as directed or recommended, you are gtg.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't think pouring it into your brake booster or junk like that really does much but burn the seafoam up. I have poured half a can into my crank case, ran it about 30 good miles under operating temps and all with positive results. Use oil with extra additives in it, like a high mileage oil; I highly recommend mobil 1 full synthetic high milege. Having it in your oil will clean everything but the valves, the piston heads, and the other part of the cylinder that oil doesn't generally get into. And running good gas like chevron or phillips 66 will clean the rest up good with all the additives.

It'll generally be more expensive than your local shop's gas but you'll notice the performance.

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
When your de carbonizing your engine, you want the seafoam to burn up as part of the combustion process. It works by first wetting the carbon then the combustion process converts it to oil smoke that gets passed out the exhaust pipe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts