Advantages Disadvantages of Leasing

• I prefer leasing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Engine cranks but does not start. Since the scanner repeatedly shows a link error this would seem to indicate a computer disconnect.

The car is a 1998 Camaro that originally had a 3.8 with a 5 speed manual but has been converted to a 98 LS1 with a 6 Speed manual. For what this cost to do we could have leased a 5th generation for 3 years. Sunday the car ran fine Monday it would turn over but not start. Bought a new Actron CP9575 Scanner. When we attached it we get a link error. Apparently the computer PCM is not functioning hence the car does not start. Tried to reset the computer by disconnecting both batter terminals and touching them together. Still no link no computer. Checked every fuse, and replaced the relay. Any ideas (other than leasing the 5th.)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Do these things happen when you switch on the ignition: Fuel pump runs for two seconds, the SES lamp comes on then either goes off a few seconds later or stays on, fuel gauge reads correctly? These are controlled by the PCM and would indicate normal behavior. Make sure you checked the cigar lighter fuse. That is what powers the scantool. Also make sure the ignition voltage is getting to the PCM (check for 12v at the PCM IGN and PCM BAT fuses) or it will not respond to the scantool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gas gauge works fine, the service engines soon light used to come on now it does not at all. The scan tool lights up when it is plugged in says working and you get a request for time, finely it says link error. Fuses look ok will try a tester. There are two cigar lighters on the car, the left one is out, the right one is connected, perhaps that is the problem, at least with the scanner? Looks like to replace the cigar lighter you have to remove the console cover?

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
I suggest some old fashioned troubleshooting.

Does car have spark when using a sparker tester. Hook up fuel pressure gauge and test fuel pressure at key on prime.

If good fuel pressure, use a noid light or 2 lead test light on fuel injectors and see if light blinks on and off while cranking engine. The blinking on and off indicates the fuel injector is being commanded open by the pcm. When testing fuel injectors know that whenever the ingnition is on there will be battery power at the positive fuel injector terminal. It is the ground that pcm supplies.

Does your security light come on when you turn ignition on, then go out after a couple of seconds. If it stays on, the pcm will not command the fuel injectors to open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There is no spark, checked with tester on number 2 wire. Do not yet have a fuel tester, may be able to get one tomorrow, however the problem seems to be lack of ignition. Checked all fuses and relays. The pcm ground appears to be good as well as the one to the engine. The gauges work, and the security light comes on then goes out after a few seconds.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Did you check the voltage at the "PCM IGN" fuse as I suggested before??? On the LS1 engine the spark is controlled entirely by the PCM.. no ignition voltage, no spark. Again...Does the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you turn on the ignition switch??? That is an indication of correct ignition voltage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
On the fuse box the PCM ignition fuse socket has only one socket like several others so there is no fuse, but it was running before without one. There is a PCM battery fuse and a INJ2 both are good. The fuel pump is not running as I finally got a fuel pressure gauge, but there is no spark either. Since there is no link to the computer from the tester, it is probably a broken wire or pulled out of its pin? While trying to find the ground at the back of the engine I found that one of the rubber hoses near the steering wheel with aluminum insulation and a metal end is not plugged into anything? And at the back or the driver side head there is a round cylinder shaped object with a black plastic top. This had a hole in it and when I reached behind the head I found another black hose with a right angle rubber fitting on the end. Inside the hose was the broken off plastic nipple from the top of the cylinder head.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You are looking at the wrong fuse box. You need to check one of the two under the hood. That is where the PCM IGN fuse is located. Obviously it has not been checked. The suggestion was not to check the fuse anyway!! It was to check the VOLTAGE at the fuse. Totally different thing. If you don't know how to use a multimeter, just ask and we can help.

You can hear the fuel pump run. You do not need a pressure tester. The intent is to see if the PCM can turn on the pump motor. That tells you the PCM is working at least to some extent. If you cannot hear well, get someone to put an ear to the floor of the hatch area while the ignition is switched on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is the fuse box I am looking at. Though PCM IGN appears on the label of the box cover, there is only one side to the fuse socket, so you cannot put in a fuse.There was no fuse in it before and it has been running well for 5 months. This is a 98 what year is yours? I know the fuse is there on a 95 as we bought a 95 LT engine from a Z28 to put in a Jensen Healey. I will take a picture of it tomorrow. We have two multimeters as we sell them. As explained I could not hear the fuel pump as the "mechanic" who swapped the engines hot wired the fans, so as soon as you turn on the ignition the fans roar. Since I am checking it alone I am the one I can't be at the back. Neither the ignition or the fuel pump are running. Unfortunately I probably broke a wire in the PCM harness working on the vacuum line or pulled out one of the pins, though if I did so it would have to be very delicate as I hardly touched the wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
LOL that is probably why I also missed that the fuse box covers had been swapped with the engine? The PCM ING magically appears when you have the right cover. Besides that being blown a 40 am Ignition fuse was also blown though quite discreetly (meaning that it did not appear to be blown). Thanks Gary!

·
Registered
772 Posts
That location in the other underhood fuse/relay box is reserved for the A.I.R. pump relay fuse. There is no such pump on the V6 version, and that is why it is vacant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cause of no igniton and scanner reading.

The reason the 40 amp fuse blew was because it was supposed to be a 50 amp but since the fuse box covers had been swapped there was a 40 amp there instead. With the main ignition fuse out the scanner connection was disconnected from the PCM. The 40 amp worked until the blower high speed setting was fixed and I had been running the air conditioning when the car was turned off. Since the mechanic had hot wired the two main cooling fans to come on with the ignition when the air conditioning fan came on as well it blew the 40 amp fuse. Fuse covers have since been put on the right box and a 50 amp put in place for the ignition. Still have to wire the cooling fans correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts