LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, here is what i have. 95' trans am with a 383 stroker. it has been sitting for about a year and three months. when i went to check the oil, it was chocolate milk looking. due to condinsation im guessing. this check was done after i had started it and saw alot of white smoke coming out of my exhaust. the motor sounded fine tho thru this. no knocking. after getting it back in my shop i changed the oil untill it was running clear thru my oil pan drain plug opening. i then proceded to start the car, and started to here a knocking noise coming from the engine on both driver and passenger side. could this be rods knocking??? or is it caused by something to do with the oil being clogged some where and not letting the fresh oil in? i am no mechanic, just have done some slight motor work in my time. any help and other questions to try and pin point it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
If there was enough condensation to create a milky effect in your oil I would assume some rusting happened in the bottom end as well. The real way to tell if you have a rod knock is to pull the oil pan and see. The car shouldn't be running to well either. How was this car stored?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had it stored in my shop with a car cover on it for about 10 months. then we pulled it out to get ready for paint. ran fine when we were doing this. but, we only ran it long enough to pull it to the front of my house. sat there for a few more months waiting for the paint shop to clear up. ( still no paint). so i pulled it back in my shop, ran fine then also. but, this weekend when i started her up is when i noticed all te white smoke and the bad oil. but still sounded good ( no knocking). so i changed the oil untill it ran clear, this is when i started to hear the knocking noise. my boss's co-worker runs the race track out here, and he said it sounds like my lifters went down and havent come back up. does this sound rite? i live in new mexico and the weather here is crazy. can be extremely hot one day, then extremely cold the next day. this is how i think the condensation build up. even with the knocking the engine runs fine. oil pressure dropped to a lil over 20. and now there is no more white smoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, my coolant was low. but, i do have a leak from the bolt on my blck next to my headers on the passenger side. can never get to it just rite to tighten all the way. so im going to have to pull my headers off on that side to do so. exhaust didnt smell sweet. i'm hopeing its just the lifters.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Its possible that its just the lifters and that you may need to either pull the intake or drive it. To investigate the noise a little deeper w/o pulling your intake you could try to can use an automotive stethascope by resting it on certain parts of the engine (intake, heads,block) and verifying where most of your noise is.If your oil looked like that and it did not run for long then you should be okay. I would think its lifter related before rod related. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i took an old piece of hose and placed it on top of my valve covers back to my ear, and the noise is very loud in that area. everywhere else i tryed wasnt even close to the noise i was getting from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts