LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after a huge list of parts I've replaced to get my car running again, I've finally gotten it back together. The only issue is, I just can't seem to get this valve adjustment done right. I've tried adjusting them using every method available, and I'll get it dialed in nicely, and to where it's running beautiful and smooth. Then the next day I'll start it up, and I'll have either a noisy valve train, or a couple times a rocker loosened up so much a push rod will be just flopping around! I've literally adjusted these things about six or seven times and I'm going nuts. I've adjusted them using all the different methods available from shoe boxes website, and no luck. I read a thread that said to fully back off all the rockers and let it sit for a few hours to let the lifters "bleed off" or something like that, then adjust which didn't help. As for a parts list, I've replaced head gasket set, water pump, opti, plug, wires, timing gear and chain set, cam, and lifters (which were soaked in oil prior to install). Yesterday I adjusted them and it was fine, started up ok this morning, and while driving after warm up, the engine randomly developed a slight "vibration" . What do you guys think I should do? I'm having the worst of luck with this thing!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
514 Posts
You don't have enough info. What rockers ? You had the hub off, was it put back on correctly ? Are you sure you're at tdc on # 1 ? Method 1 from shbox.co is quick and easy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that, yes hub was put on correctly.everything is stock or OEM replacement parts. Like I said, it's weird because I'll adjust them, it'll be fine to drive that whole day, then the next day I'll go to start it and its back to square one. All three methods are pretty easy, none of them worked for more than a day.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think that the adjusting nuts have lost their tension and allow the
rocker arms to come out of adjustment. This is mearly a guess,since I am not physically present at your garage or whatever. How easy or how much tension are on the adjusting nuts? If the nuts are not new, often times
the older adj. nuts loose their tension. ed

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like an idiot for not even thinking that :facepalm: that's gotta be it, since I've adjusted valves quite a few times and have NEVER had this hard of a time. New push rods and rocker/nut assemblies it is then! I'll post up if that fixes it, thank you so much!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah pinch nuts can only be loosened and retightened so much before they lose their crimp on the stud. Easy fix, I replaced all mine at the cost of about 10 bucks, the biggest inconvenience was how much time it took, ugh.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, all this is very reassuring. I got a new set of pushrods rockers and nuts on the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts