LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this is the right area to post this, but I need alittle advice and pictures of a rocker panel replacement,

mine got crushed in yesterday ( don't ask) and I need to know what all is involved in R&R because I really don't want to slather the thing with bondo its a good 3 inches deep,

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

it damaged the door also but I know how to fix that, sucks because I just replaced that door 2 months ago, but it pinched and bent the rocker up to where the door couldn't be opened, so I had to pry the door open and bend it back down then use a hammer to get it how you see it now, what can I do? im thinking cut the damaged area out go buy some sheet metal, ( the thick stuff) and cut it to match and weld it n, but what do I do about the wrinkled line I have?

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
Couple ideas I would try would be cutting it out from a donor car, cutting yours out, and welding it in then bodyworking it smooth etc. There is also a tool that welds small rods onto the body panel and then assorted tools and slide hammers are used to pull the dents outwards via the rods while hammers and dollies are used to work the metal back into shape. The second method is what I imagine most collision repair centers would do BUT I'm not a body guy, just watch them from time to time. Basically know enough to get myself into trouble haha. Maybe pop by a couple places for estimates?

·
Global Moderator
13,430 Posts
The rocker assembly consists of 3 panels. An inner oner that is welded to the floor board assembly. Then a middle panel that is welded to the inner panel. It is for strength. Then the outer panel which is basically there for looks.

Your most professional repair would be to cut out the outer panel, get a replacement from a parts car. Since the middle panel will be damaged also, use a sild hammer to pull it out to it's basic shape.

Then weld in the replacement outer panel.

Or use the pin welded on method to slide hammer the outer panel back out. Then use body putty to get finished shape. This is the method most body shops will use as they must do repairs as quickly as possible to make money.

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got a few quotes without the shop seeing it of 400$ with paint to replace it, but im not ready to sped that kind of cash on just the rockers yet, i have the quarter panels to worry about, theyre dented up from the last owner, ill probably try to cut it out and weld it back in from a donor car, i have a local place by me that has a complete car with good rockers on it

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Try this first: heat the area up real good and spray canned air on it upside down. The immediate cool down effect should or may pop your dent out. Metal has memory and wants to be put back to its original shape. So by heating up he molecules ( spreading them out) and then quickly cooling them (shrinking) in theory it will work. I have done this on dents before and it worked. Some more serious dents may need more heat to pull the tougher dents out. It's worth the $20 you will pay for three cans. Try it and tell us the outcome. Good luck!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Try this first: heat the area up real good and spray canned air on it upside down. The immediate cool down effect should or may pop your dent out. Metal has memory and wants to be put back to its original shape. So by heating up he molecules ( spreading them out) and then quickly cooling them (shrinking) in theory it will work. I have done this on dents before and it worked. Some more serious dents may need more heat to pull the tougher dents out. It's worth the $20 you will pay for three cans. Try it and tell us the outcome. Good luck!
Did you see his picture? That isn't going to work on metal that has been creased.

edit: the rockers seem cheap enough...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMARO-1993...NEL-PAIR-/251365450656?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that might work on my quarter panels though, ill give it a shot for the quarters il get some before pics today and post them up, and ill give it a try, i might go to the junk yard today and cut me a rocker off a donor car, then weld it in,

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
I've tried it on minor dents with no luck. In my opinion, that is well beyond dent removal repair. When the metal creases, its not happening. I feel it will only work on areas that are structurally "weaker" and easier to manipulate by hand. I have a golf ball ding just below my sail panel, it wouldn't budge. There are paintless dent removal professionals that can do it, but that takes the tools and know-how that I don't have.

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
456 Posts
i found them cheaper then that, found my passenger side for 15 and the drivers for 20, brand new, but if it was the chinease junk idk,

tomorrow trying to remove this eye sore will be my next project
Yeah, I saw them cheaper as well but these say Made In The USA so I posted these.

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah good find, ill have to order these,

·
Global Moderator
13,430 Posts
From the look of the damage, your car took a pretty hard hit in that area. There is not only extensive damage to both outer and inner rocker panels, but I suspect significant damage to the frame rail sections also.

Unless your highly skilled in disassembling unit constructive bodies & in spot welding and tig welding, I would leave this work to a body shop.

This is one repair that bondo and fiberglass is not going to fix. Damage to door is fixable if you know how to repair fiberglass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts