LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing how many votes I get for leaving the load release springs out. They are not in now but I know the guy i'm going to have look my Trans over is going to tell me to have them in.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
How is the 3-4 clutch stacked? What setup is in there...?

I'd definitely leave them out in an F-body where you're trying to shorten the shift time a little more than in some other applications. I'll reuse them in a truck transmission as long as they're in good shape, but if they're no good, I just leave them out and move on...

Make sure you're putting a good setup in the 3-4, though...

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
We don't put them back in anything. They cause a delay on the 2-3 shift. We have tried just about every 3-4 set up out there. The problem with the Z-Pak and Alto 9 disc set up is that the steel material is too thin. This makes them much more prone to warping. We set them up with stock top and bottom pressure plates, 6 .077" Kolene coated steels and 7 Borg Warner High Energy frictions.

Frank

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I have to keep the zpak in there, will it hold up to a stock engine? What would your set the clearance to?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
The Z-Pak failure isn't horsepower related. They will warp up just the same behind a stock motor as they will behind big horsepower.

Frank

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will anything help or do I just hope they hold up. Is it heat related? I have the stock Trans cooler and an external cooler also.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
"Normal" transmission heat will warp them. My best advice is change them while it's apart.

Frank

·
Spelling Bee winnah!
5,018 Posts
Dynamic and Cahall are right. When it's out change it. Take it from me as well, it will fail even under normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I stack my 3-4's pretty much the same way Frank does. It's interesting how his 2-1/2 decades of experience and my 2-1/2 decades of experience have brought us to nearly identical setups...

I use a 7 disc stack on EVERY 4L60E (and 700R4) that I build. I use new OEM AC Delco apply and backing plates (.225" and .192", respectively), seven .080" high energy frictions (Borg Warner or Raybestos) and six .076" steels. I use kolene steels in anything extreme-duty or high-performance and standard steels in most of the daily driven truck builds. With a "7" apply ring and a .093" snap ring, this will stack up every time with about .025-.030" clearance, which is just about perfect...

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I stack my 3-4's pretty much the same way Frank does. It's interesting how his 2-1/2 decades of experience and my 2-1/2 decades of experience have brought us to nearly identical setups...

I use a 7 disc stack on EVERY 4L60E (and 700R4) that I build. I use new OEM AC Delco apply and backing plates (.225" and .192", respectively), seven .080" high energy frictions (Borg Warner or Raybestos) and six .076" steels. I use kolene steels in anything extreme-duty or high-performance and standard steels in most of the daily driven truck builds. With a "7" apply ring and a .093" snap ring, this will stack up every time with about .025-.030" clearance, which is just about perfect...

Nope, nope, nope. I do it different! I use a .190" pressure plate, instead of the .192"...LOL. Seriously, though... Isn't it funny how something so simple works better than all those "Performance" 3-4 set ups?

Frank

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I know...! Sometimes the simplest, non-glamorous setups produce the best results. I have customers who absolutely torture their 4L60E's and that 7 disc with kolenes just puts up with it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts