LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I'm new to the forum. I'm building up a '95 LT1 to put in my 1980 Camaro. I've been posting on a few other forums about it, but I figured I'd jump over here and see what you guys might say. This is my first ever engine build (I've built aircraft engines in school a bunch of times though) so bear with me a bit. I've had to school myself on deck height, static vs dynamic compression, etc. So here's the story:

"ran when pulled"

Phrase of the day. Back in October I picked up a free LT1 long block. It had been sitting in a warehouse for quite a while and the owner wanted it gone. He said it ran when pulled, and when I dug into the top end I believed him. Clean. As. A. Whistle! No gunk, no carbon, Nice!

Automotive lighting Window Motor vehicle Bumper Grille

But then things started looking nasty when I got into the bottom end...

So I decided to do a rebuild. I had the bores checked and honed to stock spec. No scratching or issues, so I'm happy there! I did decide to go ahead and stroke it though, since the crank was pretty badly messed up on most of the rod journals. Mains were all good though. This will be a carb conversion motor using the GM carb intake. I did not have nearly enough of the original FI stuff to make it worth putting back together.

This is the kit I chose to use for the rebuild:
https://motorsportsunlimited.com/lt...draulic-roller-camshaft-choose-options-below/

I ordered with stock bore hyper pistons with a -12CC dish. This motor has the 54CC aluminum heads (I cc'd them myself). The cam that came through was a Comp 08-443-8. Nice big lumpy cam!

I wanted to try to get to that magic .040 quench, so I had the block decked. Unfortunately it came out a little uneven, so one side is a bit tighter than the other. However, I ordered up a set of Cometic gaskets, one at .030 and the other at .034, which gets me the following measurements.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally, here are the calculated static and dynamic compression specs. As you can see there is some discrepancy in the dynamic numbers.

From rbracing-rsr.com: 10.24:1 dynamic. Ouch.

However, using the same numbers in gofastmath.com: 9.36:1. Much better?

So that's where I'm at right now. I'm waiting on the cometic gaskets to arrive and am looking at upgrading to a roller timing set. I was not too impressed by the PBM link chain set that came with the kit.

So what do you all think? I've got zero experience with LT1s, but a couple local builders seem to think I'll be ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also decided to polish up the chambers. I was hoping that might get me an extra CC or so, but measuring after I was done showed no change. Oh well. The point was to reduce detonation, and I think I did that!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow! Loving your work! Sounds like this is going to turn out great for you! (y)(y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had a local shop put 2.02 intakes and 1.60 exhaust valves in my 95. Ruined the heads. Lesson learned... Looking at new heads is painful.

Al in Tucson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts