LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilding my motor and trans, got a 4l60e, went WOT and it wouldn't shift so I bounced off the rev limiter and spun a bearing

What is a good 4l60e rebuild kit to use?

Thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
IF you are thinking of completly rebuilding your trans, in my opinion that is a job left to the experts. Not sure where you live but you may try and find one of the guys that have shops that post on this website and
discuss with them. I dont know your experience level,but when you say rebuilding your engine and transmission thats a large chunk of time, the term "rebuilding" has a wide range of definations,from just changing
gaskets to getting very involved with each individual component. ed

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
We dpn't use a "rebuild kit" per say. We source different parts from different manufactuerers, We use Raybestor clutches for some applications and Borg Warner for others. Our bands come from a different manufactuerer. We use a Fairbanks 2nd servo but a Sonnax 4th servo. Nobody makes a "kit" that we could build a quality 4L60E with. Think of it like this, Edelbrock makes one of the most popular SBC intakes ever made (Victor Jr.), but I wouldn't put an Edelbrock carburetor on my lawn mower...LOL

Frank

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys, been working on cars since I was 14 and I'm 24 now, so I have a lot of experience, BUT not a lot of money, I've had a 4l60 apart before so i know about taking it apart and reassembly, but not about good parts to use for them

As far as the engine build I'm doing a 383 setup so i know i will have to beef up some components in the trans, I just don't feel like paying 800+ dollars for a rebuild as saving 800 bucks takes me a month to do, and that's with living uncomfortably haha

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
You're also aware that the tools to build one CORRECTLY will run you about $500???

Frank

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
The spring compressors for the drum s and low/reverse spring pack will run you a couple hundred. Bushing driver set. snap ring pliers, I ring pliers, lip seal tools, teflon ring sizing and installation tools are a couple hundred. Quite possibly a shop press.

Frank

·
Registered
807 Posts
Screeming Z- Todays modern automatic transmissions are very complex, you may get away with disassembling one and getting it back together
and have it function,but will it function properly or even better, I doubt it very much. There are some pretty mechanically experienced folks out there,but they dont trust themselves to rebuild and automatic,because that is best left to the pros. ed

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
While I try not to directly discourage people from tackling projects on their own, I do often try to warn people about building the 4L60E. We're not talking about a Th350 here. The 4L60E was plagued with many "design flaws" from GM. Most tech manuals don't even address these flaws when instructing you to build it.
I see this all the time. I get stuff in here that is either ha;lf apart and someone got scared or something that someone built that either never moved or didn't make it very far. The biggest issue is, if you misassemble something, it can tear a bunch of stuff up and overshadow any money you were trying to save. Do the math real quick. Let's say you can find all the tools on Ebay for $300-$400, then you spend $400 on all the parts, you'll have between $700-$800 invested. We charge $850 for a "performance" build...With a warranty.
Now, here's something else to think about. Most of your generic transmission shops and chains even have a hard time with 4L60Es. Many won't give any warranty for "Performance transmissions".
If you're really Gung Ho about attempting this on your own, I'll try to help any way I can, though.

Frank

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, been working on cars since I was 14 and I'm 24 now, so I have a lot of experience, BUT not a lot of money, I've had a 4l60 apart before so i know about taking it apart and reassembly, but not about good parts to use for them

As far as the engine build I'm doing a 383 setup so i know i will have to beef up some components in the trans, I just don't feel like paying 800+ dollars for a rebuild as saving 800 bucks takes me a month to do, and that's with living uncomfortably haha
If someone is going to do a proper rebuild on the 4l60 for that kind of money, run the other way. A good set of quality parts can cost just about that much alone, depending on what hard parts you may need. The first transmission I ever touched was the 4l60e and was successful. If you feel confident and do tons of research it can be done but be forwarned, it's not an easy one.

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
Especially near the end when your trying to index correctly all the parts that mate together in the input drum as it goes in. For a beginner it's pull your hair out time.

If your one of those people who can look at a picture of a tool, or the tool itself, and make that tool, then you'll save the $500, but you will spend much time making those tools. Much more than $500 worth of your time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts