LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, installing the rear main seal on my 96 LT1 and I'm confused on what the repair manual is saying. They say to install the rear main housing with a new gasket and no sealant correct? Also then they say to apply a thin coat of engine oil to the new rubber seal and then install it into the housing, is that on the inside lip where the crankshaft sits or on the side of the housing where the seal and housing connect?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The gasket is for the housing and you would have to drop the oil pan for that. Also you can use. RTV on the exterior of the rear main seal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone, installing the rear main seal on my 96 LT1 and I'm confused on what the repair manual is saying. They say to install the rear main housing with a new gasket and no sealant correct? Also then they say to apply a thin coat of engine oil to the new rubber seal and then install it into the housing, is that on the inside lip where the crankshaft sits or on the side of the housing where the seal and housing connect?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oil both sides of the seal, outside to help install the seal and the inside to make it slide on easier and to lubricate it, no dry start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts