LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here so forgive me if I make some sort of mistake. Also not sure if this has been answered before but I have a '93 3.4l camaro and Id like to swap the rear end to accomplish 3 things. 1. go from drum brakes to discs 2. go from a 1 wheel peeler to LSD 3. get better gearing for acceleration. I know it's a 6 cyl so Im not expecting to have it go from a slug to a rocketship by changing gear ratios but if there’s anything to be gained id like to go for it. I currently have the 4 gear automatic transmission in the car if that makes a difference. also Id like to swap an ls or iron block ls in one day and when that day comes I dont want to have to swap the rear again so although i dont need one capable of handling 400 hp right now lets plan for the future. any help is greatly appreciated

·
Global Moderator
13,065 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your 3.4 auto car is equipped with a 3.23 rear gear. A v6 with manual trans would have the 3.43 gear ratio. This ratio is the top choice on factory geared cars. Only a few v6 cars were equipped with posi & rear disc setup.

More likely to find 3.43 gears with posi on a 93-95 trans am or formula. If you want 3.73 or better gear ratio, you'll have to do a gear swap. 96-07 trans am & formula had traction control which makes swapping in a 96-97 rear end hard to do.

If your looking for a stronger rear end, you'll have to go aftermarket. These can run you $4000 or more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts