LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a motor swap in my 95 Trans Am. I was told I was buying a 94 LT1 motor. Now to be honest we have no clue what year this motor is after going to find a new starter at auto zone. My issue is when I turn the key everything on the dash works. Radio, lights everything. The starter clickers and battery drops power quickly. Its a knew batter bought it 2 nights ago. Starter was tested and passed. Need help.

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Global Moderator
13,060 Posts
Check out the starter and charging wiring diagram at shbox.com You didn't say if your car is an automatic or manual, you should tell us those details for better help.

But the route to the starter is a long complex one on these cars. When you turn key to start, power does not go directly to starter solenoid.

The large yellow wire from ign sw, goes to 2 different places. Ist place is to points of TDR (theft deterrent relay) the other side of the TDR points has the purple wire that goes to starter solenoid.

But for the points to close on the TDR, the 2nd yellow wire coming from ign sw goes to either the clutch start switch, for manual trans or the trans range switch, for automatics.

If everything is good in the one of those you have, then power flows to coil side of TRD. This is part of the VATS security system car has.

The TDM (theft deterrent module) will supply ground to TDR coil if ign lock reads key with correct resistance. The security light on cluster goes on when key is turned on, then goes out if correct key is used.

So if all good with VATS security system, TDM will supply ground to TDR coil, coil will energize, TDR points will close, and power is sent to starter solenoid via the purple wire.

Starter will turn engine over if starter is good, if large power wire to starter is good, Ground cable to battery and engine grounds are good.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Make your self a SIG including your year, mods, and that it is an auto. It will help with future questions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im sure I wired my starter wrong .
There are 4-5 wires going to top big bolt on cylanoid one big one on bottom with positive battery cable
and purple wire going to left small terminial.
I can see 4-5 wires on top big terminal have cooked insulation off wires LOL
the four to 5 wires go on bottom big terminal with big positive battery cable right .
some body please confirm. LOL
I cant find a picture or diagram for 97 starter any where
please help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts