LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reading about a guy in our local club bitching about going to the Gym and somebody stole his DVD player out of his car.

Why do you even NEED a DVD player in your car? Do you actually spend that much time in your car when its not moving that you can watch something?

I just don't see the point. And people get mad that their shit gets stolen...well, don't have anything in there worth stealing. You put thousands of dollars of crap in your car, bling bling, showing it off and don't expect it to get ripped off?

At least with performance parts they're a bit tougher to just take and run off with :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
At least with performance parts they're a bit tougher to just take and run off with :D
yea id like to see someone steal a set of long-tubes in a timely fashion :banana:

·
Harbinger of War
1,074 Posts
haha ya i hear ya.... y put tv's in ur car so the people behind u can watch it ??? makes sense to me

·
Registered
339 Posts
DVD players I don't get really unless you're purely a show person.

But it sucks when stereo equipment gets stolen.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Karps TA said:
But it sucks when stereo equipment gets stolen.
I agree but you're really only bringing it upon yourself. You know there are theives out there. You knkow they like to steal car stereo stuff. Its just a statistical inevitability unless you never drive your car.

Of course be mad at the theif but most people will go right back out and repeat the mistake buy putting big cash into replacing the stolen items...and then it will happen all over again.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well it ain't my fault manufacturers put complete garbage in their cars for stereos. Even the "higher end" Monsoon, Bose, Infinity stuff sounds like complete shit.

Saying people are bringing it upon themselves for doing is like saying a girl who works out all the time and shows off her body sometimes is stupid cause she's just asking to be raped.

They change the law saying you can shoot thieves dead on the spot and there won't be so many thieves.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well she is partly responsible. Granted the guy is still guilty and still deserves to go to jail, but if she puts herself in that situation, well...she should just know better. Girls dress a certain way asking for attention and then they get too much of it and something bad happens...

I'm not saying don't prosecute the criminal, but if you're not being reasonably cautious and realistic then you're an idiot and partly to blame.

I guess I'm saying lets get real about human nature....yes there are theives and rapists out there so you better conduct your business accordingly taking those facts into account. Not doing so is just niave.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Rape and car audio theft are two different things. I dont even see how that comparison can be made. It's not a very valid example, although I do see what you're going for. Just doesn't work. Lives are ruined because someone stole your CD player. Rape is a very personal act even if the rapeist doesn't know the person. Some junkie stealing your subs because he wants another crack rock is nothing like rape (sorry, I've had someone close to me be raped before and there is no way this is near a valid comparison).

Car audio, some people like their music. If you're going to put a flashy, loud, attention-grabbing system in there, expect trouble. Period. Now if you like car audio but dont want to hammer around the block, install your stuff in a fashion where it's as theft-proof as possible so you get your better tunes and it doesn't get noticed, leading to it getting stolen.

DVD players in an F-Body, just not alot of sense unless you're doing it for show. Even then you cant expect it to not get stolen. DVD players in bigger vehicles, I can definitely see a point there. My buddy has an in dash screen in his Xterra and it's really nice as we take his truck on long trips, or if we know we'll be stuck in traffic, because we can put on some Family Guy or watch a movie and it doesn't feel like you're stuck in the car forever.

Still, car electronics theft is a fact of life basically. The only way to be sure your stuff wont get stolen is to not have any stuff at all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
While I don't think it deserved ot be stolen... I'm with you, Chris.

What is the point of a DVD in a car, unless it's something like the DVD's in a minivan to entertain the kids on long trips, etc....???

·
Registered
101 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
I agree but you're really only bringing it upon yourself. You know there are theives out there. You knkow they like to steal car stereo stuff. Its just a statistical inevitability unless you never drive your car.

Of course be mad at the theif but most people will go right back out and repeat the mistake buy putting big cash into replacing the stolen items...and then it will happen all over again.
Gonna have to disagree here. Sure I not in the dvd, tv thing in the car but it gives no one any right to take it. It's like saying why buy a big 60" tv for your home your just inviting someone to break in and take. It's like why workout your just inviting yourself to get hurt. Why wear nice clothes and fancy watches your just inviting yourself to get robbed. Why buy an expense car your inviting yourself to get robbed. Get the drift?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Darth Xed said:
While I don't think it deserved ot be stolen... I'm with you, Chris.

What is the point of a DVD in a car, unless it's something like the DVD's in a minivan to entertain the kids on long trips, etc....???
Well of course no body deserves it to be stolen, and nobody deserves to be raped. I don't think I said that, and if I did then I wasn't being clear. There's a difference between being culpable in making the conditions ripe for a crime to occurr, and "deserving it"

Would you leave your keys in your car and the car unlocked at night? Why not, its illegal to steal cars, so of course you wouldn't be an idiot for leaving your keys in the car. But that's the comparison being made here. Somehow putting thousands of dollars of stereo equipment into a car and showing it off by booming around is the same as leaving your keys in the car unlocked at night.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Gabez28 said:
Gonna have to disagree here. Sure I not in the dvd, tv thing in the car but it gives no one any right to take it. It's like saying why buy a big 60" tv for your home your just inviting someone to break in and take. It's like why workout your just inviting yourself to get hurt. Why wear nice clothes and fancy watches your just inviting yourself to get robbed. Why buy an expense car your inviting yourself to get robbed. Get the drift?
I never said they have a right to take it. I just said you'd be partly responsible for setting yourself up for it.

WHERE DID I SAY IN THIS THREAD THAT THE CRIMINAL WAS OFF THE HOOK?

I don't think i said that anywhere, but everybody seems sure that I did. :banghead:

Gabe, my point is circumstances. Sure, go buy a nice car and nice clothes and stuff...I have no problem with that. But you know what? If you buy a 60" TV you best hide it behind some curtains or something. You'd be a fool if you set it in front of your big picture window for all the neighbors to see.

You'd also be a fool if you put on your $150 sneakers, nice watch and jewelry and went walking around the bad part of town. You have a right to do whatever you want to do, but you have to be aware of the situations you are walking into also.

I think I'm going to go buy a new BMW 7 series and have 10,000 in DVD equipment installed in it, then I'm going to go down and park it in the 'hood and then when I come back and its on blocks stripped I will cry out "WHY, I thought stealing was illegal?" Its my right to park my Bimmer wherever I want to, right?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:

QUOTE]

Thats what Im referring too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I understand what you're saying Chris...

Another viewpoint is the guy who got killed by a Wal-Mart employee after the guy stole stuff from the store, and the employee held him down till the police came, but he died because he was on hot pavement or something.

While the guy didnt deserve to die over stealing, if he didn't steal in the first place, he'd never have been in that position.

Of course, the main difference in that scenario is the guy was doing something wrong/illegal when the bad thing happened to him... vs having some nice stuff in your car, which there isnt really anything wrong with if you like that sort of thing, I suppose.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Still disagree. And maybe it's just my belief that we should be able to have nice stuff without having to worry about some jackass taking it.

And you can take away my stereo systems but just don't take away women dressing scantily.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Karps TA said:
Still disagree. And maybe it's just my belief that we should be able to have nice stuff without having to worry about some jackass taking it.

And you can take away my stereo systems but just don't take away women dressing scantily.
I agree we should be able to own nice stuff w/o somebody taking it, but we have to be REALISTIC, and people do steal shit iin this world.

So instead of living in a fantasy land, how about if you own nice stuff you are smart about not showing it off in the wrong places and inviting thieves.

That's all I'm saying, and the same thing goes for the women example.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Darth Xed said:
I understand what you're saying Chris...

Another viewpoint is the guy who got killed by a Wal-Mart employee after the guy stole stuff from the store, and the employee held him down till the police came, but he died because he was on hot pavement or something.

While the guy didnt deserve to die over stealing, if he didn't steal in the first place, he'd never have been in that position.

Of course, the main difference in that scenario is the guy was doing something wrong/illegal when the bad thing happened to him... vs having some nice stuff in your car, which there isnt really anything wrong with if you like that sort of thing, I suppose.
There's a comparison to be made there, yeah. All I'm saying is that you can significantly reduce the chances that something bad is going to happen to you if you are careful about situations you put yourself in.

The rape example is extreme...and perhaps not a very good one, I dont' want to force a bad analogy...maybe if she were flirting it up it would fit better....but...

Just because its illegal to run over people in your car doesn't mean I'm going to go walking in the middle lane on the interstate. Same reason I don't have big money in car stereo systems, and if I did it would be in a non-daily driver that stays in a garage most of the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts