LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got a Ram Powergrip from TSP a few months ago. also purchased a new slave with it as well. well, i never got around to installing it so it was just sitting around...

months went by and my friend bought a SS from a dealer, which ended up needing to have the tranny repaired under warrenty. while the tranny was out, he wanted to replace the clutch, so i told him to toss in the Ram i had lying around.

the dealer put it in, along with the new slave. but something was not right. when pushing down the clutch pedal, is was 'dead' until it was right off the floor. and when disengaging the clutch, its disengages immediately, and then is dead after an inch or so off the floor. the lines were bled multiple times, so that wasnt an issue. also a shim was put it, and it helped a little, but not enough to make it drivable.

the dealer thinks it might be the wrong clutch, but on the box im pretty sure it says it the right one. he held it up to the stocker and it wasnt the same size (off by a little), and i want to say some holes were off as well. he ended up putting the stock clutch back in and it works fine.

did i just get the wrong clutch? or was something not done right?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but it shouldnt need an adj. mc.

how much will an adj mc move the engagement point on the pedal? it was engaging maybe an inch from the floor, maybe less...so it would need to be moved up quite a bit to work right...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
99formulam6 said:
but it shouldnt need an adj. mc.

how much will an adj mc move the engagement point on the pedal? it was engaging maybe an inch from the floor, maybe less...so it would need to be moved up quite a bit to work right...

you can adjust it to engadge at the very top of the pedle if you wanted to ;)

need is a subjective word... but in the case of MOST really strong clutches... yeh it needs one..

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
99formulam6 said:
well, i think you need to stop by when i do my clutch, youre an expert :)
thats a bit of a haul for me, but i am sure my brother would be happy to give you a hand... taught him most of what i know....(Raven02ta on efa) he lives down your way....

oh and freeze on that expert talk... i am a jack of all trades... but a master of none ;)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know chris, ive met him a few times....

but what about the fact that it was a diff size when held up against the stock clutch. i wanna say my friend told me it was smaller, and the middle things on the pressure plate stuck out further than the ones on the stock clutch. i dont know if the differences are b/c its aftermarket or what, but it doesnt seem right.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
call up ram with the part number.... ask them what it is for...
If i'm not mistaken if it was not the right clutch, it would not bolt up :confused:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
part number 35-98931 it should be 11 inches with 1 1/8-26 splines

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ill have to get the PN tomorrow, since its in the back of my friends SS. i ordered it right from TSP, so i just assumed it was the right one. i hope it was a mistake though.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
let us know how it turns out...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, so, i got the Ram sitting in the back of the car, and its about an inch smaller than the stock one, and i wanna say the guy at the shop said there wasnt any holes in the PP to allow the small dowls on the flywheel to go in.. does that make sense? ill go out to the car and get the numbers off it when it stops raining...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
ever get the part number?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, the sticker on the box says:

contains: 402L, 980Flat, 5313

then theres a bar code and under the barcode it has:
8 0900931015 4

and thats the only sticker on the box

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
98931, thats the ls1 part number... so it looks like it was the right part, so it takes us back to adjustable master...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
for the answer to that i would give ram a call

1 - 20 of 24 Posts