LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a bad coolant sensor cause my car to idle rough and eventually cut out, choke down. It only does this after the car warms up. I put a new one in the head and in the water pump.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would scan the O2 voltages,after closed loop they should be cycling between 0-900 milivolts.

If they don't replace them with some new AC Delco's,the aftermarket ones suck and don't last.

The coolant sensor on the WP is the one for the computer,the one on the head is for your gauge on the instrument panel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When do the O2's go into a closed loop?

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
A bad coolant temp sensor can cause that yes, but so can a lot of other things. I'd test the temp sensor for resistance...there should be something in a haynes or chilton's manual about a testing procedure.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If the coolant temp sensor in the water pump is bad or giving incorrect information, then yes that will cause running issues. The coolant temp sensor in the head doesn't report to the PCM and as such isn't going to affect anything as it only sends output to the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just finished replacing the water temp sensor and the electrical plug end in the water pump. No change..... Still stumbles and misses, acts like its flooding out. I wanted to try and do this myself but I guess I will have to take it to a shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts