LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out my overheating problem and have ruled out the radiator, thermostat, air in system, etc. I flushed the entire cooling system in the car several times. I took it to a shop and the said they thought it was the head gasket. The plan was to have them pull the water pump, but they didn't want to bother. I guess I need a better shop to take it to. Are there any good shops in the LA/OC area of Cali?

So, I have the water pump off as I wanted to look at the coupling and shafts on the water pump and drive gear. I have a few quick questions.

1. Does the inscribed line on the coupler face the engine (in other words it is farthest away from the water pump when installed on the pump). I looked at shbox and that appears to be how it should go. That is how it was when I pulled it off the car.

2. I can spin the shaft coming out of the engine that connects to the coupler freely with my finger. Am I supposed to be able to do that or does that suggest the gear that drives the shaft in the engine is worn out/broken? What is it connected to and how to I get to it? Do I remove the timing cover?

Thanks!

·
Global Moderator
13,306 Posts
Coupler should go as you stated. Drive gear for water pump should not spin freely. It is driven by engine and should not turn unless crank & cam are moving.

Good luck on finding a replacement assembly. And intake manifold must be removed to R & R the gear assembly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coupler should go as you stated. Drive gear for water pump should not spin freely. It is driven by engine and should not turn unless crank & cam are moving.

Good luck on finding a replacement assembly. And intake manifold must be removed to R & R the gear assembly.
Thanks Cocobolo95! I've decided to leave it in there and put an electric water pump on the car. This will save me the hassle of having to take it out - and the expense/reliability of using the gear drive. The seal isn't leaking at this time, which is good.

I finally found my overheating problem! I'm so glad I don't have a blown head gasket! I tested it three times with the blue dye and it came up negative.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts