LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, so I've been looking at a nice set of drag radials "used" once. Only driven to the track and back. Now I know on the measly 10 bolts sitting in my rear end, these rubbers will have a longer trail than Dexter Morgan over 8 seasons.

My question is, considering my mostly stock engine, what do I need to do in order to make these tires a possibility? As far as I understand, I need to...

1) install a new girdle cover
2) weld the axle tubes
3) maybe stud bolts?

Now forgive me for sounding naive, but I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible for a temporary solution. I am currently saving up the money for an aftermarket 12 bolt unit, which isn't gonna be for a little while. In the meantime, I'm trying to see if I can put at most 350whp down through an m6 onto good tires. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I rode around on drag radials for two years on my 96 z28 many years ago. I had some aftermarket suspension parts on the car like panhard rod and lower control arms. I did thousands of launches and took my car to the track many times and ran the piss out of it and had no rear end issues. But my car was an A4 so that's the only difference with yours. I know the six speed cars are a lot more likely to have rear end problems. And with you going up to 350hp that will put even more of a thrashing on the glass jaw 10 bolt lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it's a fragile piece, I just wanna get it to the point where it'll take a few 3k launches on radials without grenading

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just picked up the DRs, and now I'm trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to put on a diff cover and weld the tubes, or if I should just save up for a few months and get a prefab unit? Or I could go custom, and get an 8.8, so it'll be cheaper that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts