LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a quick question on the Accel 30 pound injectors which are on my car (part 150830 at Summit, which is where the receipt is from).

It's a 94 Firebird Firehawk with full length headers, no cat, Holley 58mm TB and Vortech V2 supercharger. I'm not sure if there was any engine or head/cam work. The car has the extra fuel pump required for the Vortec. I recently bought the car in July and want to get it running!.

If these injectors were put on the car, would it make it run rich? Would the computer figure out the injectors and adjust or would it need to be programmed? I smell gas when it is running and when I pull the cold air off the throttle body (even after it has been sitting for awhile. There are no leaks that I can see and the fumes/smell is not good when the car is running, kind of like unburned gas.

The car was backfiring until I gapped 6 of the 8 plugs properly (need to go back in and check the last two by the starter). I checked the TPS and it is good, I also reprogrammed the IAC. Next is cleaning the MAF.

The car hesitates when the throttle is depressed. It's not driveable as it overheats after 10 minutes and I'm still working on the compression check, checking the water pump, leakdown test, etc. Hoping the head gasket is not blown on it. Mechanic that had the car a year and did not fix it said the Opti tested bad on the Oscilloscope.

·
Global Moderator
13,218 Posts
Supercharged lt1 engine is way out of my comfort area. But, I suggest you doing a running sensor scan with an obd 1 scanner that has that function.

Check your O2 readings, fuel trims, tps, map readings and see what they are saying. Your looking for O2 sensors that go above & below 450mv level on a frequent basis. Also fuel trims that are as close to 128 as possible. Fuel trims higher than 128 = lean mixture. lower than 128 = rich mixture.

Buy a PC based oscilloscope for around $70 on Ebay, Amazon, etc. Use it to test the opti low & high resolution square wave signals being sent from opti to PCM. Opti being bad will foul up engine running. So that needs to be fixed first.

Don't buy any opti other than GM, Delco, or Delphi. I've heard some good things about the opti from Petris industries. But I still can't say if it's any good or not.

Has the PCM in your car been tuned for the massive changes that have taken place? If not, you need to have that done if you hope to drive the car. Get in touch with Salomon at www.lt1pcmtuning.com

He can help you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Cocobolo95,

Thanks for all the good advice! I decided to switch the injectors back to stock for now and just bought some remanufactured OEM injectors. I don't think I can see if the PCM has been tuned unless I pull it and mail it to someone.. My plan is to switch to the Torqworks if the Opti is bad but will try to test it as you suggested. I attempted to do a compression check and possible leak down test on the car, but it is too difficult with long-tube headers. I would have to pay someone to do it. Seems like removing the headers from the heads and then dropping them out of the way as well as removing the starter will be the only way to do both checks.

I will check with Solomon at PCM tuning. Thanks for the referral.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts