LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 94 Z28 Camaro. I bought a Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS head unit and would like to install it this afternoon. Currently there is a Kenwood aftermarket Head Unit (The one with only a CD receiver) that was there when I bought the car. My question is, do I have to re-wire anyhing or will it simply be just unplug the kenwood and plug in the Pioneer? I know it's more to go from stock to aftermarket, but what about aftermarket Kenwood to aftermarket Pioneer? And if you have any tips I would love to hear. This is my first time doing any wiring in a car or any audio stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hello, I have a 94 Z28 Camaro. I bought a Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS head unit and would like to install it this afternoon. Currently there is a Kenwood aftermarket Head Unit (The one with only a CD receiver) that was there when I bought the car. My question is, do I have to re-wire anyhing or will it simply be just unplug the kenwood and plug in the Pioneer? I know it's more to go from stock to aftermarket, but what about aftermarket Kenwood to aftermarket Pioneer? And if you have any tips I would love to hear. This is my first time doing any wiring in a car or any audio stuff. Thanks.
you'll have to rewire the stereo. most likely (cross your fingers) the person who put the last stereo in used a wiring harness adaptor and left the factory wiring alone. if this is the case, you just unplug that wiring harness from the factory plug, then cut the wires between it and the old pioneer radio connector, and then wire your new kenwood wiring harness to it and plug it back into the factory wiring harness. if he hacked up the factory wiring.... good luck to you, you're gonna need it, lol.

in some cases if you went from a certain kenwood to another kenwood of similar vintage you might get away without having to rewire anything, but i'm pretty sure no brands share wiring harness styles and even some models of the same brand will use different wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I can't figure it out I'll just pay some place around here to do it. Screw all that, I'm not blowing up my electrical. I already blew up everything mechanical, electrical I don't even want to deal with haha.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
it's really not that difficult. disconnect the battery (although i rarely do when i change a stereo)

unplug the radio from the car and then rewire the audo cable like i mentioned.

usually there are about 12 wires to hook up

speakers consist of 8 wires. each speaker has one wire (white, green, purple, and gray?) and a ground which is the same color with black stripe on it.

then you have power (red) ground (black) ignition power (yellow) and power antenna if you have one (blue)

basically you just have to match up colors from one wiring harness to the other.

i like to get the red butt connectors and crimp the wires together using those and then wrap the whole set of wires with electrical tape when i'm done.

*edit* i see you have a camaro which most likely does not have a power antenna as it was not offered by chevy and would only be there if someone added one so you can just forget about hooking up the blue wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts