LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off i have a 3.1 v6 grand prix. Lets just say i can run faster. After i am done with my camaro i have plans for it (if i decide to keep it). It def scream turbo. The fwd is killin me. If i built a buck tubro v6 could i slap it to a fwd setup?

·
Registered
79 Posts
From what I have heard, the 3.8 that we use would not work in a FWD config because of vibration issues. I do not really understand it but something about the way the power is trasnmitted in a RWD does not contribute to vibration. Our engines are 90* and most FWD are 60*

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
8UWAV6 said:
From what I have heard, the 3.8 that we use would not work in a FWD config because of vibration issues. I do not really understand it but something about the way the power is trasnmitted in a RWD does not contribute to vibration. Our engines are 90* and most FWD are 60*
But the 3.8L v6 in the GT and GTPs is the same basic motor, 90* V6, its just a "gen III" version. I bet it has a balance shaft in it though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Might be a same disp and 90*, but not same block architecture. I dunno. There was a discussion on turbobuick.com in the hybrid section a few months back about doing our LC2 engine in a FWD and the majority of people said it would not work because of the vibration issue.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
The FWD 3800's have the same bellhousing pattern as the 3.1.

The factory supercharged the 3800. The have two different versions of it available as a crate. You'd have to figure out something for the ECM, though. You can pick up used SC'd engines fairly reasonably.

A simplier solution to the 3.1 power issue would be a 3.4 V6.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts