LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The '57, that is.

I picked up some leather Bonneville buckets & rear seats in '04, that took about 40 pounds off. Otherwise, I haven't done much to try to reduce weight. According to the track scale, it weighs about 3900 with me and about a quarter tank of gas. I did take the passenger bucket out at the track and got it down to about 3860.

The heater is out because I'm using the vent ducts for a cool air inlet for the engine. Now I'm wondering about removing the fender liners completely and running the ducts up to the radiator supports. Not sure how much that would take out, probably another 30-50 pounds. I drive the car to the track, otherwise it doesn't get out much. I do have to drive it home in the occasional rain-out, otherwise I'm not sure how much value the fender liners would have.

Might also take the carpeting and felt out. It's getting pretty bad, anyway (been in there since 1972).

It has been suggested I remove the bumpers, but I'm not sure I want to go there. If I could afford 'glass replacements, that would be different. But, this is all zero-cost, my-time-only that I can afford.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'd leave carpet in there. Got any pics with the modern interior?

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't seem to get a very good pic, but here's an attempt.

The carpet is in such bad shape, it a) wouldn't be missed, and b) probably wouldn't make that much difference. . .

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
five7kid said:
I can't seem to get a very good pic, but here's an attempt.

The carpet is in such bad shape, it a) wouldn't be missed, and b) probably wouldn't make that much difference. . .
Pretty cool, post some more pics of the car!
-=Rick

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My son took this one during the first round of eliminations at Pomona, Nov 2004. It's one of my all-time favorites (it's the wallpaper for my computer at work).

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very cool

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one was on nhra.com. Part of my 15-minute allotment...

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Cool pics. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As you all know, there are two ways to go faster: 1) increase power, and 2) decrease resistance.

I've decided not to disassemble and go for Door #1. Comp XS282 solid cam, coupled with the RPM Air Gap from last fall, should keep it deep in the 13's at altitude, and perhaps break that magic 100 mph barrier at altitude.

Also need new slicks - the Quick Time Pro DOTs from fall of '03 are on their last leg, plan is to mount them on rims for the Camaro and get new 27.0x10.5-15 QTP DOTs for the old girl.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you moved your battery to the trunk yet?

Aluminum radiator?

Real skinnies on the front?

Plastic inner fenders?

Mini starter?

Manual steering box?

Single electric horn from import? The OEM horns weighed about 10 pounds, or so it seems.

Electric or plastic S-10 fan?

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes.

Yes. 6-cylinder position.

No, just 205-75x15 highway radials (I drive it to the track).

No, original steel liners. One item I was considering doing without.

Yes. Installed just before going to Pomona.

Yes. The original.

Actually, later horns from a '70's Impala/Caprice.

Plastic aftermarket electric.

Remember, this is a budget project.

(Hey, that looks like the long-lost paternal twin. . . )

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, that white pigment should be a lot lighter than the red. :)

And yes, I'm thinking "budget" mods.

Dump the dual horns and get one of the lame sounding Volkswagen type. They're about 2 pounds, but would still keep you street legal.

Personally, I wouldn't start hacking on the body a bunch just to drop some pounds.

Direct (non-assisted) brakes? A vacuum reservoir/booster weighs more than most super-models.

Electric wipers? The old vacuum motors aren't very svelt.

Modern 63A alternator w/integral regulator. The newer alternators are lighter, and the old relay regulator is probably another two pounds or more counting the extra copper between the two.

Aluminum water pump (not really "budget", but some mass differential).

Aluminum calipers (disc brakes?) Again, not "budget" but mass.

Dare I mention shedding some mass from the central control unit? ;)

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Each horn is about 1/2 pound. So, not too worried about them.

Already non-assisted brakes (disk/drum).

Already electric wiper (although about a pound heavier than the vacuum type).

Already "modern" 60-amp alternator.

Already aluminum water pump.

Standard cast iron Camaro calipers. Haven't looked into anything else.

I took about 40 pounds out of the driver's seat between the 2001 & 2002 seasons, but around 20 pounds has found its way back. . .

·
Registered
895 Posts
I think those post sedans are pretty sweet. When all you see are 2 door hard tops. what about fabing an almumim bumper support? If the carpet is ratty, just take it out. But thats up to you.

ISSF, By I think "Stoney": "Stripping your car to save weight, is like burning your house for heat."

I know this, because I raced a 4500lbs tank, to a 14.97 at 91.81

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, like I said, I decided to increase the "P" of the P/W formula to achieve the goal. I guess I haven't updated, but "mission accomplished" - ran a 100.69 mph on a particularly good air day, typically in the high-98's to mid-99's on race day. 3880 pounds going down the track, 13.4-13.5 ET's. All this at 5800' elevation, density altitude very typically above 9000'.

At the typical tenth per 100 pounds, at 4500 pounds I'd be running 13.1's at sea level.

My next "issue" is slowing it down - I'll be going to the Division V Summit ET Finals in a couple of weeks, running in the Sportsman class which has a 13.00 minimum-allowed dial-in. My planned tactic is to allow the transmission to shift automatically, which is about 5000 RPMs vs. the 6200 RPM manual shift point I've been using. Along with a full fuel tank, that should take off the required six tenths. My last time at sea level (same restrictions), with the 270 hydraulic cam and Action + manifold, it ran 12.90's and was running out of breath at the top end. I retarded the timing by 4 degrees and ran a full tank of gas to get mid-13.0's - right where it needed to be.

·
Registered
895 Posts
That thing is purdy fast then!!

I put my cadillac on a diet! I started with the door panels, then took the seats out. Then was all the trim. Next the entire engine and trans were on the way out, and the rear end was next... Oh wait... different kinda diet! :twak:

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They need to be remounted in order to get the most out of them. I just kind of slapped them in there, and they're too high and too far forward. Another winter project on the list.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts