LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I blew my engine in my camaro, and I've recently purchased a replacement LT1 long block. I spent most of my tax return on the engine, so I can't afford to have a mechanic put it in for me, so I'm going to put it in myself. The only thing that worries me though, is that I have no experience working on cars, other than changing my oil. I've been in the oilfield for 4 years now, and I'm not bothered by hard work, I'm also pretty good with my hands. So my question is, is changing out my engine possible for someone like me, and what are the steps to getting the engine out? I'm limited to space, so I will be taking it out of the top. Please give me some advice!

·
Registered
406 Posts
So i pretty much did this top to bottom., although I put My engine back in. With an engine hoist. Jack stands and a jack or two its completely doable... Feel free to pm me with qs.. bit the biggest things to.consider, your gonna have to remove the condensor so a cost there.. and get your hoist tight on the enginebwith intake and all accessories removed will male your job much easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today after work I took off the intake, ac unit and radiator. I'm at the water pump now and I can't figure out how to take it off. Any help?

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
same

i pretty much have same problem but my question is if i drop motor from underneath how much room would you need between the car and the floor to slide motor out from under car?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
i pretty much have same problem but my question is if i drop motor from underneath how much room would you need between the car and the floor to slide motor out from under car?
You will need enough body height so that the top of the shock a-arms will pass underneath. That's probably ~3 1/2 feet. You can leave the wheels on and roll it out (with a dolly under the trans).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts